iMac G6?!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BoneyardBoy, Sep 6, 2004.

1. BoneyardBoy macrumors member

thinking just a tiny bit ahead here lol, but i was talking to someone earlier who reckons the G5 iMac will be the last one design wise and it got me thinking. when it's time for another iMac 3-4 years down the line what can they do to improve on the current design?? the first iMac had the machine built into a bulge behind the screen, then with the 2nd one they gave it a flat screen and squashed the machine into a even smaller dome-shaped housing, then with this new one they've managed to do away with any housing of the computer itself and just squeeze it in with the monitor. if with the next one they were to slap on a place to put the machine itself in just for the sake of doing something new it won't be innovating because they'll be de-evolving. (best word i could think of for it lol) i guess the next logical thing would be to make everything cordless like the keyboard as standard, but will the design of the iMac itself be just a screen from now on?

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Well, of course it won't be just the screen, but they'll be able to innovate a better design than what they have right now. They could get rid of the huge white bottom that the new iMacs have, or they could make it even thinner, they could improve the base so that you can move it around more (think iMac G4 with a VESA compliant base, for the next new fad). There's always something they can do with the iMac, but it's curious to think where technology is heading.

The way I look at it, it's trying to be faster, smaller, and less consuming (time, space, etc.) You could say that computers are trying to be like God (it's theory, I'm not arguing which God or anything, so please refrain from flaming me on my God point).

That's just my theory.
    –Chase

3. JLS macrumors 6502

Dockable, with touchscreen and batteries!.. you know you want it!

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

ALREADY!

For the love of Apple!

We just got introduced to the iMac G5 after months of waiting and rumoring (if thats a word) and you already want to bring up the iMac G6?!?!

Spare me.

5. JRam macrumors member

JRam

Batteries? Pshhh

Im voting for wireless everything. Keyboard, mouse, internet, power.

Yes, wireless power. Hell yeah. How to do that? Got me, Im no apple engineer, thats their problem. :D

6. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

i think i read on apples site that the G6 will be powered by fuel cells.

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

lol....that would be your problem too, as the electric field required to do this would kill you ;).

8. bluebull macrumors member

Who needs a mouse and keyboard when the iMac G6 can READ YOUR MIND!
    And, um, it should hover in the air using magnets or something.

9. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

The computer would be in the keyboard, which can wirelessly sync up to a monitor or just project the display on a fine wall of mist.

Duh! Just think progress...

10. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Yes, I can see a holographic projector being built into a keyboard sized/shaped base/CPU some time in the future, but we'll probably be well past the G6 by the time those components are small enough...

11. howard macrumors 68020

howard

you'll be able to compute with your MIND!!! in SPACE!! yeah!!!

g6 imac rulzzz!!!

12. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Honestly, we needn't waste space with these topics when we could really be talking about the upgrades we want to see in the upcoming iMac8

13. JLaFrance macrumors member

Ok, my immpression of the imac g6, just a monitor like it is now, but it doesnt have a HD becuase it uses the space in the other half of your brain that you dont use to store data. (have to wear a head-band)

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

he he. :D not quite, or, well, maybe. but the new dual-core G4 PowerBooks will be powered by fuel cells. :D

15. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I agree, this technology has been in newspapers since 1 year or more, it's time to bring it up... 100 ml will give you 10 hours :)

16. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

OK - I'm taking bets that in 20 years time they are going to be telling us that we DO use all our brains. Its just that the neuro-scientist types haven't got a clue what for, or how at the moment.

And I'm picking all that "junk" dna we are supposed to be carrying around will turn out to contain essential stuff too.

Never trust a scientist who is SURE about anything, because he's no longer using scientific methods.

Back to the point, the iMac G6 will become a dockable touch-screen device (with batteries/fuelcell) that can be lifted off its airport express/recharger/dock unit and carried around the home to work, view media, and control other devices wirelessly.

But only if the G6 is a laptop grade chip not the current G5 flamethrower.

17. chazmox macrumors regular

I know alot of people hate tablets but...

How about standard bluetooth keyboard and mouse and the monitor/computer is less than one inch thick. It comes with a laptop battery and can be used as a tablet computer alone, or when set on its base ( which is sort of like the current monitor support ) can be used with the keyboard/mouse. The stand charges the battery in the computer/monitor section... but when you're ready to go - just pick it up and go. Sort of like a docking station but more elegant and combines the best of a laptop and desktop

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

how about a imac g8 the worlds first consumer quantum computer

g5- 970xx
    g6- 975-980
    g7-990xx
    g8- a 128-bit squid at the equivilent of infinity GHz :D

19. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

23" HDTV iMac with built-in tuner and scroll-wheel media mouse/remote (let's you control all media apps via bluetooth).

It has to be on the drawing boards. As is something super-cool utilizing wireless firewire. Tablets are way too obvious and not particularly interesting. Perhaps something to do with wireless video conferencing.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It already exists....there's one problem, you don't want to get between the transmitter and receiver - it'd do a job on your insides (its microwave power beaming, actually). My company has a couple patents using it, the only thing is that its not all that practical at the high energy requirements of a computer.

You'd be better off spending your time trying to develop room temp super conductors - then power wouldn't be an issue :D

As of the next design of the iMac? Replace the LCD with an OLED - it be even thinner....

D

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Why not now?

Given the Apple site and the comparison to the iPod, I can only hope that someone comes up with "iPod" dock with a fan that allows for greater portability.

22. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

I don't know about the iMac, but the iRoll G6 will be available from "the makers iPod" and look something like this.

http://www.universaldisplay.com/concepts.htm

They will also consider renaming the iPod the iRock, then think better as they see the guy with the mullet of the year rolling down the street in his iroc z...

23. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Think different man! Wireless power but they'll ship with those Intel bunny suits - in 5 different colors.

24. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

What exactly is OLED, I've heard a lot about it, but don't know what it is. If someone could post a link that'd be great. ;)

25. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

The link I posted in above is to an OLED. The technology has been around for a few years, imagine a plasma screen that is paper thin, brighter, much much more energy efficient, and can be rolled up or folded.

The way I understand it, LCDs and Plasma screens have to be continuously fed a picture, an OLED works more on the Etch-A-Sketch prinicple. Only segments of the screen need to be updated as necessary, making it ideal for computing applications.