iMac gaming performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just so I'll know when the day comes... How does HL2 and Doom 3 run on the intel iMacs, does the X1600 do them justice? I plan on buying the 17" and (hopefully) run both games in their maximum settings and resolution. I don't care for actual FPS numbers (unless they're high), just the peace of mind that it will be playable.

I have a 2007FPW monitor too, so if the 17" is too small I can always use that instead. I mean all that works under Boot Camp right?

Ideally I want to know if this works on the latest iMacs, but if they run smooth on older iMacs then all the better :D

Cheers guys :)

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I have a old Radeon that plays Doom 3 very well (my friend tried it out on my machine). So I would think so.

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

I tried out the HL2 demo in bootcamp last night. I'm pretty sure that all the graphics settings auto-detected to "very high", at the full 1680x1050. I played through the whole demo and it was smooth as silk. I do have 2GB of RAM in my iMac, which I'm sure helps, but it should be pretty close even with the stock RAM.

I also tried the Far Cry demo, which also ran perfectly at full res with the graphics on high.

I also tried the Flight Simulator X demo (a more modern game...in fact its not even out yet), which gave me an average of about 15fps with the graphics on "medium-high." This is actually not a bad number, as it usually takes a pretty hardcore gaming machine for flight simulator to get over 30, and flight simulators do not need a high frame rate to be enjoyable.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea it runs on my PC - 2ghz P4, Radeon 9600pro, 512mb DDR etc... Runs in 800*600, medium settings for a slow, choppy game. Part of me can't wait to play through Doom 3 again. Really loved it even on the limited PC, so better textures and resolution will be a nice bonus.
    Half Life 2 on the other hand! Looks incredible. Everything on full at 1200*1024 (I think) with 2x AA. No HDR though, too slow for that! I don't play many new games, I don't care for anything after Doom 3... Maybe give Quake 4 a shot.

I suppose my real question, though a little more complex is - how much better is the X1600 to the 9600Pro?

Nice one admanimal! I suppose running at a lower resolution with just 1gb of RAM should be buttery smooth too.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The problem with the 17" is that you are limited to the 128mb graphics card.

Only the 20" gives you the option to upgrade to 256

The X1600 is a good graphics card and a damn site better than the Radeon 9650, its more like the Radeon 9800 peformance wise.

-----

I'm trying to convince myself to spring for a mac pro before year end.. It's not so much I need convincing, but my accountant and CC might ;) :D

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

The last PC that I had was a 2.4GHz P4 with 1GB RAM and a 128MB Radeon 9800 pro. I never tried to run HL2 on it, but I did run Far Cry and I can tell you that my iMac runs it much better. Of course this is probably due in part to the dual core CPU.

Maybe I will try Doom 3 tonight. That did OK with graphics on low on my old PC.