iMac: Get one now or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aidancbrady, Nov 2, 2012.

  1. macrumors newbie

    aidancbrady

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2012
    #1
    First of all, I'm new here. My goal in this post is to get some opinions, not hate for posting a thread regarding a question that may have already been answered.

    I'm a long time mac user. For the past three years I've been saving up for the computer of my dreams: a 27'' iMac with a 3.4 GHz processor, 16 GB of RAM, a 1 TB HDD, boosted video card, and i7 processor. I had everything planned to get this computer on October 25th of this year, and boy, was I excited.

    Well guess what. Apple, for some reason, felt like announcing their new amazing iMac that's 45% thinner, 8 pounds lighter, has an Ivy Bridge processor, USB 3.0, etc. etc... two days before that.

    Note that:
    (a.) the you're right that the computer is $100 more than the previous model, but I'm getting the high-end that's price remained the same.

    (b.) the optical does not bother me as I will be primarily building java games, using Final Cut Pro X, and browsing reddit.

    As much as you try, you will not be able to convince me to get a lower-end model for several reasons, mainly because I am ready to throw my MacBook Air with 2 GB of RAM out the window due to it's un-reliance when it comes to multitasking.

    My local apple store is selling the model I want at a $100 discount, which isn't that much, but is still money.

    So anyway, the iMac is shipping in December which is long enough anyway, and Big Tim himself announced the shortages of these new 'friction stir welded' computers. Also, when apple says it will be available in any certain month, it's usually in the last week of it. Say they somehow let me preorder a few days before christmas, and then start shipping a week after that. We're already in January then, not to mention the time it will take them to assemble it and get it to my house. As you can see, I'm getting rather impatient.

    What do I do. Should I just meditate once a day to get that beautiful piece of equipment out of my mind and get the new model when I can, or get over with it and grab it at the apple store today?

    Thanks everyone, I hope you can help me make the right choice.

    -Aidan
     
  2. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2012
    #2

    I'd just wait it out, especially when the machine is such an improvement over the last one.

    Order the highest end model when it is released and upgrade any components (Not the RAM, buy them RAM separately).

    The newer one will retain its higher value for a lot longer if you ever want to sell it, and the hardware, especially graphics, are significantly better than the previous model.
     
  3. macrumors G3

    Apple fanboy

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    Location:
    Behind the lens, UK
    #3
    Been waiting since February to ditch windows. January isn't that long now. Have a beer and cherlax!
     
  4. macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #4
    If it's boosted video card you want, then wait you should do.
     
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

    aidancbrady

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2012
    #5
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all your responses. Guess I'm waiting!

    -Aidan
     
  6. #6
    Yeah, for those of us here who've been waiting 8+ months (myself included) Waiting another ~60 days is a no-brainer.

    Especially considering the last release has been around about twice as long as it should have (just look at the refresh dates on the MacRumors buyer's guide) your 2011 iMac is going to start feeling really old really fast.
     
  7. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2010
    #7
    Waiting

    I have a rMBP, an Ipad3 and a Mini, but my desktop is a Windows. I want to transition to an Imac, but even though the prices are attractive now, I am worried that the current design has built in thermal issues that will shorten it's life. I have a Super Drive, so the new Imac will work, I think......I wonder if the new super thin design will also have long term thermal issues. I guess time will tell.
     
  8. macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2012
    #8
    Go grab a quad Mini today. It is faster than any on-the-shelve iMac, and is in stores RIGHT NOW.
     
  9. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2012
    #9
    i couldnt wait, i just went out and bought it.
     

Share This Page