iMAC gotchas

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Vince.Islander, May 6, 2005.

1. Vince.Islander macrumors newbie

I'm about to plunge into the World of MACs with my first one being an iMac. What I'd like to know from iMAC owners is what should I expect from the hardware and/or software. 2GHz G5 17" with 1GB RAM and 160GB HD.

The iMAC will be used mostly for writing papers, editing digital photos and creating DVD movies and slideshows. MS Office, Adobe Photoshop Elements are third party apps to be installed, along with a few children games. I will depend on iMovie and iDVD for the DVD movies. Photoediting on a bi-weekly basis and monthly DVD movie burns. DVD movies will be short 30min-1hr, not flashy just nice enough to send to family and friends.

Thanks,
    Vince.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

An iMac G5 will do just fine for all that. In fact, it'll be great for all that.

For future reference, it's just a Mac (shortened from Macintosh), it's not an acronym like PC, so it doesn't have to be in all caps.

Welcome to the fold! You'll find that MR Forums are (mostly) nice and helpful!

3. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I currently use a 1.8 iMac G5 with 512 ram for more or less the same activity and it does great for me (I switched in January and have zero regrets). Your configuration would have even more power, so it'll treat you just fine. Enjoy!!!

4. Vince.Islander thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for input. I'll make sure use proper case when typing "Mac" :D

I'm sure I won't regret the purchase. So far seven(7) of my friends have converted all of us are either engineers, programmers or graphics designers.

Hmmm...Just need to find a nice alternative to Apple's keyboard and one button mouse.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hey, I think Apple's keyboard is great. I even bought one explicitly for my Mac mini. The mouse on the other hand, I agree with you.

May I suggest a Logitech MX1000? (flaunts The. Best. Mouse. Ever. at bluetooth weenies)

6. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Well welcome to the mac world, I am soo jealous that you are getting ths version of the iMac, it such a big update i am thinking about selling mine to get this one. But for what its worth, my iMac runs perfect haven't had any problems and it is just an all round good computer.

The iMac Keyboard is alright, but i would trash the mouse as soon as possible...those things are evil, i wish apple would make a double button mouse :confused: :confused:

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Pretty much any multibutton mouse will work right out of the box. Me, I use a MS Intellimouse Optical 5 button mouse.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, you should be pleasantly surprised by Office 04 if you haven't used it yet. :) Just a plug, also for Bluetooth. Since it's standard, now (?), consider getting an Apple or third-party BT keyboard, and a multibutton BT mouse.