Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjid

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hi,

My iMac starts making a tickling noise from somewhere on the upper (left?) side of the screen. It only happens when I'm playing a heavy game.
The sound does stop when I do either of the following:
- stop looking around in the game, still view.
- turn down the brightness
- switch to desktop
- If I ignore the sound it will stop after a while too, but it's scary
It increases when I turn up the brightness.

The performance does not get affected in any way, as far as i see.

I cannot recreate the sound using SMC control.

AHT returns no errors.

The iMac is a CTO all out 2011 27" model and I upgraded the RAM to 16GB and added a SSD inside, behind the optical drive, myself.

The SSD installation went smooth and had no problems for over 4 months.

What are your opinions on this? I'd like to fix the sound as it does not sound right. Should I remove the SSD and send it to apple? I do have extended Apple Care.

Thanks for reading. If there are any more details needed please let me know.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Your upper left or the screen's upper left as if you were looking from behind the computer?

The component on your upper left is the power supply, and buzzing has been a known issue for it.

kjid

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
The upper left when looking at the screen. Any way to test if its the power supply? Andd does this sound indicate its going to fail soon?

kjid

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
i changed my power cable and that seems to have solved the issue. I hope its not coming back!

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
might be some sort of interference on your outlet? do you have a surge protector or a UPS.

sounds like static on your line

kjid

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
There are no surge protectors or any other devices installed in the power circuit. It's a standard european outlet.

We have been adding outlets in another part of the house, but that's another circuit so I don't think they could interfere with each other.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
no my question was, do you have your iMac plugged into a surge protector or UPS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.