imac guidance

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by moldy, Jul 12, 2006.

  1. moldy macrumors newbie

    Jul 12, 2006
    I'm looking to convert to a mac and I need something within the next month. My wife and I are just started grad school and new something asap. I'm undecided as to whether it is worth it to wait until after the wwdc. From what I've gathered it looks like there might be an update to a Core 2 Duo. Is this likely to happen soon, or should I just go ahead and buy the current model? Other posts have said that you can update the processor, any guesses as to how much would that cost if I bought the current model? Thanks for your help....I think I'm addicted to checking the forums and I don't even own a mac!
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn


    Mar 23, 2005
    Keep waiting...keep waiting...

    You don't want to open up the iMac either. Talk about major pain beyond voiding your warranty.
  3. trpt192 macrumors newbie

    May 4, 2006
    Heart of Illinois
    I'm in the same dilemma as you. I'm going back to college the week after WWDC and I'm not sure if I should buy now or after WWDC. It'd be nice to have all this time before going back to get used to the mac platform but I'm just wondering if it'd be better in the long run just to wait.
  4. thechris69 macrumors 6502


    Nov 11, 2005
    Im in the same situation as you, Im ready to buy one... but its just the fact that you know there is going to be a update in the near future so you have to wait... hopefully it will be worth the the wait
  5. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    Since we're so close to WWDC, I suggest you wait to see if Apple announces any updates to the iMac.

    Congats on your decision to switch
  6. trpt192 macrumors newbie

    May 4, 2006
    Heart of Illinois
    My thinking is that if the iMac is only going to get merom, I might as well buy now because merom is not expected to ship until late august(beyond my buying time frame). If it's going to get conroe (like appleinsider announced the other day) then I might as well wait since it's expected to start shipping next week and should be available come WWDC. I know a lot of people don't think the iMac will get conroe(most notably here) but in the past, appleinsider has usually been pretty accurate. Looks like I'm waiting till WWDC.
  7. Ladybug macrumors 65816


    Apr 13, 2006
    I can't advise you on whether to buy now or not, but you might want to keep in mind that there is always going to be something better in the near future as far as updates go.

    I'd recommend you try to determine what it is you need the computer for, what it will take to accomplish this job, and buy the most you can afford. Any pc, car, etc you buy today or next month will shortly become not the latest greatest, when the next best thing comes out. If you play the waiting game, you'll never actually buy a computer.

    That said, you might want to give it another month to see what happens. Beyond that I can't see waiting. Best of luck whatever you decide. :)
  8. jdl8422 macrumors 6502


    Jul 5, 2006
    That is true. I bought a powermac G5 1.6Ghz right when they came out and shortly after apple stopped making the 1.6 all together, I went from feeling good about the new G5 to feeling out of date. I am also looking to buy an iMac. My suggestion is wait until late aug. If apple doesnt say there will an upgrade, then buy. And if they do update after you already bought a computer, then oh well, it wont be a huge upgrade and its not like the imac now is so out of date and not able to function.
  9. joshwest macrumors 65816


    Apr 27, 2005
    Im thinking about the same after i updated my 12" PB to a MBP, now im wondering about my G5 iMac 2.0.. its loaded out with 2 gigs of ram and also have apple care on it.. But im thinking if the next intel release is as big as everyone is anticipating i think i might ebay it and do the upgrade....

Share This Page