iMac hard drive can't be accessed, any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dukemeiser, Mar 26, 2004.

1. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I have an iMac 400 DV running Panther. 10 GB hd. It's making a funny sound, a clinking. Like the sound of dropping a metal ball -> ping, ping...

I had been getting a ? in a folder on startup. I did FireWire Target disk mode and was able to get it booting fine again. Now I can't get it to do anything. Booting from a CD will work, but the hd isn't shown. FWTDM won't work now either. Any ideas on how to get my data off?

I tried DriveSavers, but $1000 is out of my range...

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well if it doesn't show up anywhere then your probably screwed! A clunking, pinging sound is not a good sound so as you probably already know your hard drive has crapped out on you. Maybe, just maybe DiskWarrior might, I say might get your data back, but its unlikely since your hard drive doesn't show up. So if you don't have your stuff backed up then your probably SOL!

Sorry!

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Your hard drive is dieing, my wife has a Imac 500 that i just replaced the drive and it was doing the clunk clunk routine. it did it for awhile so do yourself a favor and back up any important data and plan on a new drive. I replaced the drive and presto problem is gone. this is what you need to do. new drives arent so much $50- $60 bucks. They must have used cheap drives in those Imacs because my quicksilvers IBM drive is still going strong and gets used way more.

4. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I know I need to replace the drive. What I need is to get my data off of it. Is it worth opening the drive to fix it?

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

depends on your data< data recovery is about a thousand bucks so only you can answer that. have you tried to archive and reinstall?

6. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I can't access the drive. Putting in a Panther Install disk won't work, it won't recognize my drive. DiskWarrior won't recognize it either. It's not a software issue, it is a hardware issue.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....Unless you are qualified/experienced in taking apart hard drives and trying to recover data from them you are looking at using a 3rd party like Drivesavers to do it for you and that can be expensive...hard drives generally do not have "user-servicable" parts. If you don't know exactly what you are doing and the data is very important to you then don't fool around with it - you may just make it more difficult (and expensive) for the pro's to do it for you....oh yeah!

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think it's over mate...I had a hard drive do that once on me, sent it in for warranty and lost all my data. 50 gigs of stuff. Sorry. :(

9. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser