iMac Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MajereXYU, May 6, 2006.

1. MajereXYU macrumors regular

May 11, 2005

I bought a CoreDuo iMac about a month and a half ago.

At first, it was doing ok except that the grinding noise from the hard drive was annoying me (and I didn't think it was normal because it was a Seagate and those aren't usually known for being noisy).

About 2 weeks after I purchased it, it wouldn't boot, not finding my OSX installation. DEAD DRIVE.

I was able to reinstall OSX (archive and install) and recover some files I hadn't backuped by transfering them to my PC. All disk operations were painfully slow.

There was also a stuck pixel in the center of my screen.

I took the iMac to the local Apple vendor from which I had bought the machine (no Apple Retail Stores in my area).

They changed the Hard Drive for a Western Digital (which I hate for being among the noisiest Hard Drives known to man ;)) and they changed my LCD panel (had to call Apple directly to get an authorization #).

Now the iMac is fine, fast and all BUT:

I now have a really noisy/vibrating hard drive that makes a whirring sound like that of a helicopter (which is not normal and may be a sign that it is going to fail) and the stuck pixel is no more, only to be replaced by an eyelash and a paticle of dust, both of which got stuck between the LCD panel and the external screen.

It is visible all the time except on black backgrounds.
    I'm going to go back to the retailer and ask for my iMac to be exchanged for a new one. I don't want them to remove the LCD panel again and change the hard drive again; too much tinkering with a new computer isn't my cup of tea.
    I paid for a NEW and WORKING computer so I expect to get that.

The retailer told me : 3 major repairs to exchange computer. Well I've got 2 done and I need 2 more to get it working the way it's supposed to...

What do you guys think? Am I too demanding?

Also, just yesterday, the iMac went into sleep mode without me commanding it and I was moving the mouse and doing CPU intensive tasks.

I've never encountered so much hardware problems with a computer in my whole life. I've been building computers for around 10 years...
    Granted, I always pick quality components on which I've done some research beforehand but it's frustrating to buy a computer the price of the iMac and not get satisfaction.
  2. igucl macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2003
    That does sound frustrating. I'm sorry that your experience with your new Mac is a negative one. No, I don't think you're being too demanding. Those problems would make me very unsatisfied, also.

With your iMac going to sleep like that while you were using it, it seems like it could have a cooling problem. Try using the Dashboard widget iStat Pro, which is available from, to see how high the temp gets on your iMac. I have mine on constantly, folding, and it stays steadily around 161 F without any problems.