Imac help needed.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Bellringer, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Bellringer macrumors newbie

Hi
    I've just inherited a blue g3 iMac with a tray CD. I think its a 233 proc.
    Its had its disk wiped and so has no OS.

What's the latest OS can i use on it and where can I get it from?

Sorry if I seem a little dim but I'm a refugee from Gatesworld.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'd go with OS 9.2. You can probably find one on eBay... otherwise some places online will probably have it...

3. mms macrumors 6502a

http://apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=imac

That would be the original iMac. All G3 systems other than the original PowerBook G3 (Kanga) are supported by Panther, so it should work with OS X. However, I wouldn't recommend it. With a 233mhz processor, Panther would be sluggish even if RAM were maxed out. Like previously stated, I would recommend OS 9.

4. Bellringer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys. I've bought a 9.2 disk but now have a different problem. When I try to install the OS I get a failure message saying that the firmware needs updating. I try to do the firmware update from the CD but it wont work because it says that the volume is locked. I tried copying the folder to the disk but that wont work as when I try to boot it up it says the OS must be installed not just copyied to the disk. How can I upgrade the firmware from CD?

5. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

You know...

i have a Stawberry iMac G3 233, tray loader. I loaded Panther on to it and although it's not gonna win any races...it does email and safari pretty darn good. Depending on what you're using it for you could actually get Panther on it. (Upgrade ur firmware first!)

macboyX