imac help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by metfoo, Jan 15, 2003.

1. metfoo macrumors member

i just got a new Lacie d2 52x24x52x burner for my iMac G3 600. Only problem is my performance blows. I dont come anywhere near 52x. When performing a read test, I am only pulling 2-2.5 MB max from the CD when it indicates it should be at 7 to be 48x.

how can i fix my speed issues. A CD burned at 48x should take 2-3 minutes, not 7-10 like i am experiencing.

I have 3 FW devices connected at any given time. I have the burner on 1 FW port, and 2 HD's on the other. I have tried burning with the HD's on and off, and experience the same.

I am running 10.2.3 on a iMac G3 600 with 512MB RAM.

Thanks for all of your help.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's unlikely you're going to get 48x or 52x out of the fastest AthlonXP or Pentium 4, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a speed that was tested with testing hardware anyway, not a PC or Macintosh.

You might get more out of it connected to a faster, dual processor machine with maximum RAM but it's probably not going to be that amazing. Besides the machine, the operating system has something to do with it, the connection, contention between devices, etc.