iMac Help...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Sloth, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Sloth macrumors newbie

I have this old iMac (one of the original Bondi iMacs, with the pop-out CD Drive), and I got it from my brother's friend. After a period of extended use, when I turn it off, i have to leave it unplugged for about an hour before I can use it again. If I try to turn it on too soon, the little light in the CD drive will blink, the power button will light up, and then, it will just die. Sometimes, it gets halfway thru the startup chime, and then die.

Only after leaving it unplugged for like an hour, will it actually start up.

Does anyone know whats wrong? If so, how can I fix it?

Thanks

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

sounds like it could be a problem with the PMU (power management unit)...you may need a new internal battery for the motherboard...i'm not 100% on that...let's see what other members think...

3. pEZ macrumors 6502

I'd reset the PMU - I had a similar problem with my flat panel iMac a while back, push the little PMU button, it fixed it right up.

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

note: if you do reset the PMU (i'm not sure how you can get to it on a tray-loading imac, check apple support pages) make sure that all power is off and EVERYTHING is disconnected. just press the button (usually you will need to use a ballpoint pen or something) do not hold it down...let it click and then let go. now wait for at least 30 seconds before plugging back in. then you will be safe to restart.

best of luck

5. Sloth thread starter macrumors newbie

What exactly do you mean?

What do you mean by EVERYTHING? does that mean that I disconnect all things not permenantly affixed to the motherboard, such as drive cables, monitor cables, etc?

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

no no no

nothing permanent

just usb devices, power plug, etc...

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

did it work...is the cuda the same as the pmu...try ressetin the cuda