iMac i3 27" (2010) RAM question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by audioscribbler, Dec 4, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've now owned my lovely iMac for a month and freakin' love this machine! I love slickly designed and intuitive interfaces and can't ever going back now that I'm getting used to it. Anyway, I do actually have a question - I'm looking to take advantage of the extra RAM slots and upgrade to around 8GB - for now. I've fit sticks of RAM into PCs a few times but have never upgraded an iMac; do you have to use a particular brand/type? All I've found so far is this one

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/17288...pe=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search

and only found that one by typing in 'iMac ram' into Play. Any tips? And is it easy to fit? Thanks.

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

3. macrumors member

Are Crucial RAM packs compatible with the pre-installed 2 x 2GB ones, or do I need to remove those and replace them with 2 x 4GB ones if I want 8GB in total?

So if I bought this (http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=769226C4A5CA7304), could I make my iMac 12GB in total, or would I only be able to get 8GB?

How does the iMac run on 12?

4. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Yes, they are compatible. No need to remove anything and 12GB should run fine, I've seen several people with 12GB in iMacs.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

6. macrumors member

Anywhere in particular you would recommend for Oceania (AU/NZ)?

7. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Crucial ships there too. Some of my AUS friends have bought from OWC though as it was the cheapest, even with shipping. Of course you can buy it from a local reseller as well, just make sure it has correct specs (you can link it to here so we can check it).