iMac Idea

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by imacintel, Apr 13, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

You know the little apple on the iBook and PowerBook and how it lights up? I think the little iMac thing written on the back should light up, or the little apple on the front of the imac.

Any thoughts?

2. 4leaf macrumors member

yeah id like my apple logo on my imac to light up...tho it might be annoying after a while

3. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

nother good idea, if u find it anoying, U can go into system prefs and turn it off?

4. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Recall that most people's desktop computers are in front of a wall. Then some of the power input to the machine would be going to illuminate a logo that Apple is careful to not saturate the market with (for example, the limited quantities of Apple logo clothing).

5. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

That would look cool. Like, put your mac in standby, make sure the room is totally dark, and this little apple symbol appears out of nowhere. And If the thing that said iMac on the bac, you'd look at the wall and :
    iMac
    would be flashing.

But then again, I agree with the fact that they probably don't want people buying just for that.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could look really good. The backlight from the LCD on Mac laptops is what lights the Apple on the back of the screen so having something on the back of the iMac light up would mean a separate light source may be needed since there are so many components in the way. :)

7. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

I aggree, but maybe make those wires even more messy. Yup, wire that in from the power supply. But there might not be enogh for the iMac.Maybe Only in sleep?

8. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

How about since iMacs dont come in color anymore they should incorporate ambient lighting in the back to project color on the wall behind them or down to the desk so you get the old color feel. There color even be multiple LED's so you color change the color you want projected so it can match your desktop or anything else. If it works for a tv why not a computer.

9. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I will email this idea to apple and hopefully they will consider it in future iMacs. Cheers.

P.S: mad jew, i hope u don't mind me using "cheers. Thats always belonged 2 u.

10. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I would like an iPod clickwheel on the front of the iMac chin. Not sure what functions would be important enough to get a button there though. And the Apple would need to stay as well.

In fact, why not make the Apple breathe instead of that small white circle when it sleeps?

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hey, it's not mine. Go your hardest. :D

12. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

There was a revision of the G5's with ambient lighting. In fact heres a link.

http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=imac_g5_mid_05&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC

13. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

14. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

it wouldn't work anyway... the light that lights the Apple logo on the Powerbook and iBook lids is the same light that light the LCD screen. u'd need one powerful light to light up the iMac logo.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You might want to read this thread first. ;)

16. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

Yeah that has a sensor for when the iMac is sleeping it dims the pulsing of the sleep indicator. That has pretty much nothing to do with my dumb idea. I was talking creating a colored glow effect from the back of the iMac that could come in multiple colors controlled by the preference panel. I know its not very practical since it would mostly only be able to be seen at night but it would certainly be cool to see the silhouette of the iMac in front of a cool blue or tangerine glow. Like a rockstar about to perform a concert. :D

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Thats exactly what I was thinking!

Apple logo should be lit-up by the small light behind it, like the ambient light. It should not be on when display is on, should pulse when sleeping and should be on when the computer is running, but the display is sleeping. It also should adjust its brightness when the lighting in the room changes. To keep it short, it should work just the same as the current ambient light /w sensor :)

18. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

i think rear lighting would be quite good, it would be especially cool if it would add to the effect of using the computer, say if you had the desktop set to the default blue, the apple light on the back would shine a blue light onto the wall behind it. I have seen it done on Philips TV's and it really does add to your viewing experience! Of course, there would doubtless be legal complications.

Attached Files:

19. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

20. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I think it would be a very cool and nice looking idea, but there would definitely have to be an option to turn it off in System Preferences.

21. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i think its a good idea. i would like it in the front though

22. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I would be cool if the apple logo lit up on imacs, etc. I dont even think it would be that hard, since we have electroluminescent technology where you can have a small pad that produces the light. Though, after a while it might look corney. I still cant believe someone hasn't come up with a hack to light up the minis logo yet

23. iShane macrumors 6502a

That would be awesome. Especially if you could turn it off/on.

24. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Ooooh, some ambient lighting on the back would be very cool. The Apple logo pulsing while sleeping would be cool, but I wouldn't want it on the whole time.
    And I'm weird, but I kinda just like the pulsating circle in sleep. :eek:

25. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

Yes I've been saying it would be cool on the iMac if it had a neon glow across the bottom where the reflective strip is.