iMac Intel boot dvd only for Intel?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jamesmcd, Feb 27, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I heard somewhere that the DVDs (2 of them) that came with my Intel iMac would install both the PPC and intel version of Mac OS X.

Looking at the DVDs themselves, there is no kind of notice on the disc that they will only install on Intel.

However, I tried to boot DVD1 on my iBook G4, and all I get is a Kernel Panic, with the first message stating that the 'driver' for my computer cannot be found...

So is this because it is an Intel-only disc? or is there another problem.

Thanks.

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The install dvd e.g. for iMac etc is build for that model of computer .. Even if you could install on another system you would breaking the EULA agreement ..

the retail version of Mac OS X doesn't have that restriction. but i'm NOT approving of Multi-system install with a single user DVD but it's your own guilt you'll have to deal with not ME :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

For it to get as far as kernel panicing means that it managed to boot the kernel. As the kernel needs to be running in native mode the boot disc is not Intel only.

It is normal and expected, however, for the restore/boot CDs or DVDs that come with new Macs to only boot on that class of Mac.

4. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Ah cheers for that...

Now all I have to do is get my hands on a DVD/CD of a Generic Install of Max OS X. :mad:

5. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Ummm, you could purchase one.

6. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Well it sounds like I might eventually have to.

but... in saying that, I just spend 3000 $NZ on an Intel iMac, so you'd think they'd chuck in a friggin standard DVD in there.

7. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Um...No!!

By handing out standard DVD's that would make it easier to put on other peoples machine, which is exactly what apple does not want you to do.

If you want a standard set of install disks you have to go buy them.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

And unless you buy the Family Pack the standard DVDs are licensed for a single machine as well. They won't stop you installing on more than one machine but you may well be breaking the law.

9. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

... I know of a small business (I won't meantion who obviously), That bought a single-license Panther Install Disk and Carbon-Installed it across 40 machines.

It makes you think though, that when Apple posts its figures for how many people use Mac OS X, it must be way way off.

10. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I think when they say how many people use OS X, they are referring to hardware sales, and not copies. Apple is probably aware that people do that, and are unable to stop it, so, they base their numbers off of how many OS X equipped hardware is sold, and probably plus a certain number.

11. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Gonna steer this off topic for a sec...

What is Apple gonna do with the Intel release of Leopard?
    With Maxxuss clearly having Apple over a barrel, do you think the upgrade will finally use those 'proof of purchase' card things that have been shipping with Macs for years? Or will they sell the Intel DVDs right along side the PPC DVDs in the retail channel?

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Leopard will be Universal. There will only be one version and it will install on both PPC and Intel.

13. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Are you guessing here or have they said this? I'm just wondering why they haven't done this for the 10.4.5 and .6 updates.

14. ScottB macrumors regular

ScottB

That's most likely. Any chance they may just have to seperate installers on the disk? Anyway it'll definetly be just one disk.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mostly a guess. It'll be far easier for Apple (no returns because someone picked up the wrong box) as well as making the Family Pack work for those who have old and new machines.

16. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Perhaps Apple will switch to some type of activation technique, like MS did with Windows XP. Although people have workaround the Windows activation in some different ways, no one has ever truely cracked the WPA. It would severely cut down on piracy, as it did with Windows XP.