Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I ran xbench and it did not give me accurate score for one or two processor so I did not give me a good bench mark. I now that the G4 1.5 also seems to be score way below the normal. I used chudd and switch of one core and tested the performance the gflops stayed the same as with 2 cores.

So I used another bench program
Which is PPC and runs under rossetta, the intel version is not avaliable yet but some pretty good results, seeing it simulates altivec on intel.

I download pooch and here are the results using Altivec fractual carbon test

MAX the following peferences
color speed = 100
Zoom Factor = 10
Maximum Count = 66536

G4 1.5 Ghz 6680.6Mflops =6.680 Gflops 29.1 sec
iMac intel Duo Core 2.0 Ghz 2 core = 4048.9Mflops = 4.0489Gflops 48.0 sec
iMac intel Duo Core 2.0 Ghz 1 core = 2024.1Mflops = 2.0241Glfops 96.1 sec

For simulating in rossetta, plus simulating altivec we can see that this is such a kick as process 4Gflops no native.

I can wait to see the SSE3 native with this test.

williamh

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
Nice post!!

I wanna know what's the major difference between G5 processor and Intel processor on Mac, since they are all going for DUAL, what are the advantage and disvantage to stick with G5 or switch to Intel? (I know G5 is designed by IBM and Intel is Intel)

Do those Intel processors really enhance the speed, if it does, in what way and with what application (image processing, audio processing...etc)?

I know it's kinda a tech question, however I hope someone would like to tell me the difference between the 2.

Thanx in advance

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
The iMac G5 is running a powerPC 970, a single core can generate 8Gflops and i know that a 2.3Ghz puts out 9.2Ghz (source Https://www.top500.org).

both of these chips come with 512K L2 cache.

I cannot wait to get some real benchmarks on the intel.

I would purchase an intel over a G5 it runs powerpc at an acceptable level, I been running animation master and it run really great.

I will post some more benchmarks I looking for Spec this is the true way of really benching the CPU

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
For now, I'll say G4/5's Altivec smokes the Intel CD on core basis. There's no way in hell Intel will beat the PowerPCs, not until Conroe's SSE4 thingy..... :D

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I agree, for those apps that need heavy maths, then intel as suck with floating point, on the other hand intel, is so much faster with integer. If you look at the top 500 list and then look at performances of the chips. Apple buy far are the fastest chips out there. the IBM are not clocked as fast.

I would like to see how the test will run on intel native, I got to wait until it been ported. my guess the core duo should put up about 7 - 8 Gflops, which is not that bad.

This is why when apple anounced that thery were moving to intel, I thought what? Supercomputer desktop no more. But my guess apple know intels product line coming, so i trust them it will all work out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.