iMac internal iSight died

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phamlin, Jan 10, 2007.

1. phamlin macrumors newbie

Sorry to add onto this post, but I can't see how to start a new one.

My iMac G5 Isight died before the holidays. I mean really died. No light, no noise, nothing. Hold the power button and nothing. Checked power cord and outlet, no problems.

Read on apple.com there is a alternate power on switch inside if you remove the back cover, but it refers me to chpt 4 of the user manual which only talks about adding RAM. That article talks about indicator LEDs and things that perhaps could fix the problem and shows you inside the back cover.

Many posts I have read said you can not open the back cover without voiding the warranty. Since mine is dead and it is 1.25 years old, is there any warranty left?

Can I open the back? Do I need a special tool? PLEASE HELP! I live in Azerbaijan and we do have a newly opened mac store, but I really wouldn't trust them so would like to try this myself first.

Thanks! Paul

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Where is Azerbaijan? Sounds exotic.

Anyway, I would try the Apple Store if you are not confident in your ability to open the iMac. And the portion regarding adding RAM might involve opening the portion of the iMac needed to reset this other power switch. I do not have an iMac so I can't really say how easy/hard this is to do, but again, I would try the Apple Store.

3. Queso macrumors G4

The internal power switch you refer to isn't available on the iSight iMac models, only on the older, thicker Revision A and B iMacs.

It sounds to me like the power supply has gone. You'll have to take it in to be repaired.

BTW GimmeSlack12, fly to Moscow via Europe and turn right. It's just north of Iran.

4. Sam0r macrumors regular

Leave it unplugged over night, then plug it back in and try again in the morning.

Although it does sound pretty serious, the power supply has probably gone kaput :(

Something I've noticed about dead power supplies, if it makes a cracking noise when you plug the power in, then the power supply probably isn't dead. Although thats nothing at all to go on.