iMac internal modem not detected ?!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by FrankAZ, Sep 16, 2004.

1. FrankAZ macrumors newbie

My wife has an older iMac running OS9.2.

Upon returning from a weeks vacation (in Mex.) she was surprised to find that when she tried to check her email REMOTE ACCESS didn't work at all. If I remember the error message, it seemed to indicate that there was no serial port available for the modem. This is odd because her computer has an internal modem. Also, on the System Profiler page it shows that no modem is detected. What gives ? Everything worked fine before she left.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

FrankAZ

2. makisushi macrumors 6502

I had the same problem once. It seems that my modem was fried when my house was hit with lightning. is the modem hooked up through a surge protector?

3. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Yeah same thing happened to me, my modem was fryed by lightening. So I had to bring my Mac all the way to fix it and they said it would cost me 4000 Rand(700$)!!!!!!!!!!! So instead i bought an ISDN modem which is pretty cool.
    But they can replace your modem and i am pretty sure it will be for less than 700$....

Peace
    DjVoTeZ

4. FrankAZ thread starter macrumors newbie

OK ... this is REALLY wierd

Thanks for the input. No ... the modem is not (yet) surge protected ... however, there's been no rain or lightening for quite a while here in central AZ.

Here's the strange part: Just for fun I rechecked the system profiler this morning ... it indicated a modem was detected ... I connected and got on line ... no problem. Now, this afternoon, the system profiler shows no modem detected !

Go figger.

Later,

FrankAZ