iMac internal speakers not working, please help.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by un.titled, May 18, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

When I turn my iMac on the computer chimes, but after the operating system loads, the internal speakers will not work. Headphones (wireless and wired) work, but when I unplug any external sound device, no sound will play. When I try to turn up/down the volume through my keyboard, this is what I get:

[​IMG]

Computer specs:
    Model: White 24"
    CPU: 2.16 GHz C2D
    Ram: 4GB

Any ideas?
    Thank you.

2. Guest

Go to System Preferences, Sound and then check if the output is set to "internal speakers"...

3. simsaladimbamba

Is there a red light coming out of the audio out port?
    If so plug and pull the TRS (3.5mm) connector of your headphones until it disappears.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

5. Guest

Yep, this can happen as well, since the digital and analog sound connections are together...

6. Guest

7. thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

No red light.

I have repeatedly inserted the jack and even jiggled it while it was in the port, and still nothing. I'm guessing there is some sort of button that is supposed to pop out when pulling out the jack, letting the internal speakers know to kick on?

8. macrumors 6502

Look directly into the hole. It's not very bright. Turn off all the lights and put your hand right behind the hole and see if you can see anything on your hand.

Yes, there's supposed to be a switch that disengages. You could try a toothpick if you're brave. Or you could take it to the Apple store.

9. macrumors newbie

Thank you re: the switch in the earphone socket

I used a paperclip. It works fine now. So glad I don't have to go into the Apple store.

10. macrumors member

Have you tried using a different headphone jack? I had that same issue with my mac. Tried plugging/unplugging the headphone jack and it always stayed in mute mode. And all I did was use a different headphone jack and resolved it.

Hope this little piece of information works out for you.

11. macrumors 6502

Had exactly this issue on a 2009 27"iMac, nothing was working until I simply blew into the headphone jack. Might work for others...?