Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

un.titled

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
When I turn my iMac on the computer chimes, but after the operating system loads, the internal speakers will not work. Headphones (wireless and wired) work, but when I unplug any external sound device, no sound will play. When I try to turn up/down the volume through my keyboard, this is what I get:

mwu05k.jpg

Computer specs:
Model: White 24"
CPU: 2.16 GHz C2D
Ram: 4GB

Any ideas?
Thank you.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
When I turn my iMac on the computer chimes, but after the operating system loads, the internal speakers will not work. Headphones (wireless and wired) work, but when I unplug any external sound device, no sound will play. When I try to turn up/down the volume through my keyboard, this is what I get:

Computer specs:
Model: White 24"
CPU: 2.16 GHz C2D
Ram: 4GB

Any ideas?
Thank you.

Go to System Preferences, Sound and then check if the output is set to "internal speakers"...

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is there a red light coming out of the audio out port?
If so plug and pull the TRS (3.5mm) connector of your headphones until it disappears.

un.titled

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Is there a red light coming out of the audio out port?
If so plug and pull the TRS (3.5mm) connector of your headphones until it disappears.

ftk57b.jpg

No red light.

So this is the problem that the other poster indicated...your digital audio connector got stuck...insert the headphone again until it disappears.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...ok-pro-red-light-no-audio-problem-solved.html

Or here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2257213?start=0&tstart=0

I have repeatedly inserted the jack and even jiggled it while it was in the port, and still nothing. I'm guessing there is some sort of button that is supposed to pop out when pulling out the jack, letting the internal speakers know to kick on?

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
No red light.

Look directly into the hole. It's not very bright. Turn off all the lights and put your hand right behind the hole and see if you can see anything on your hand.

]
I'm guessing there is some sort of button that is supposed to pop out when pulling out the jack, letting the internal speakers know to kick on?

Yes, there's supposed to be a switch that disengages. You could try a toothpick if you're brave. Or you could take it to the Apple store.

mmayer18

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Thank you re: the switch in the earphone socket

I used a paperclip. It works fine now. So glad I don't have to go into the Apple store.

Look directly into the hole. It's not very bright. Turn off all the lights and put your hand right behind the hole and see if you can see anything on your hand.

Yes, there's supposed to be a switch that disengages. You could try a toothpick if you're brave. Or you could take it to the Apple store.

DoubleVision19

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
I have repeatedly inserted the jack and even jiggled it while it was in the port, and still nothing. I'm guessing there is some sort of button that is supposed to pop out when pulling out the jack, letting the internal speakers know to kick on?

Have you tried using a different headphone jack? I had that same issue with my mac. Tried plugging/unplugging the headphone jack and it always stayed in mute mode. And all I did was use a different headphone jack and resolved it.

Hope this little piece of information works out for you.

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Had exactly this issue on a 2009 27"iMac, nothing was working until I simply blew into the headphone jack. Might work for others...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.