Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWillard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Staring at a Mac Screen
Alrighty, I have access (if I want) to an old, non working iMac... I've seen the sites and how to's on converting an iMac into an aquarium... They all seem pretty straightforward, but I've also read a lot of sites (and threads here) that warn about the CRT... Dangerous! Shock! Death!

How much will I have to deal with the CRT to get just the "case" (the plastic outer part) off the iMac? I've looked at the imac service manual online, but it's hard to tell b/c they are assuming i WANT to put it back together properly. Obviously removing the plastic would expose the dangerous innards, but how much so?

I am a "handy" person, I know how grounding works, I am careful when doing DIY stuff, I have a friend who is an electrician who can help me out...

Opinions? I think an iMac aquarium would be cool, but I don't want to die doing it...

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
It is a cool project. It is a lot of work though. Started mine about 6 months ago and still havent finished.(been very busy lately w/ work)

About the CRT, before U operate on the mac, buy some heavy electricans gloves, some 12guage wire and a wire clip. U will want to make sure U have a known good grounded outlet b/f U discharge electricty(if U don't your house will never look the same :)) Then take an insulated screwdriver follow what the other sites tell U to do.(sorry i don't know more,cause my CRT waz already discharged)

Note: I am in no way responsible for any injuries/property damage that may occure. macEfan is only trying to help. CRTS can be dangerous. Operate at your own risk.

Go for it and good luck :)

If U want, bring it to a TV shop and ask them to discharge it for U. They are pros at that kind of stuff. Is shouldn't be too expensive.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
i edited my other post see it.

I waz lucky w/ my CRT. The dangerous voltage components were already removed :).

iWillard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Staring at a Mac Screen
Note: I am in no way responsible for any injuries/property damage that may occure. macEfan is only trying to help. CRTS can be dangerous. Operate at your own risk.

If I died, I wouldn't hold you responsible.... :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.