IMAC IS FREAKIN UGLY

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by SomeAppleGuy, Jan 7, 2002.

1. SomeAppleGuy macrumors member

I was hoping the rumors were just rumors, but once again they are not. I'm sorry, I love Apple but I will never convince myself to like this ugly damn iMac no matter how hard I try. I'd rather see the re-introduction of the Rev A iMac. Sure its a G4, big deal we have had G4s. Sure its a flat panel, big deal we have had those too. I think its time for me to check out windows XP for the first time!!!

A P P L E S U C K S!!!

I gaurantee this product is going to bring back the jokes that have haunted Apple Computer from its beginning. This is not revolutionary. Ive see PCs that look like this for some time.

Good Job APPLE!!! WAY TO THINK DIFFERENT!!!

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

pessimist

It's people like u who bring everyone down...

Negativity and closed mindedness are what prevent people from getting ahead and moving forward...

it's easy to point the finger, but much harder to accept and understand...

3. benmac macrumors member

4. xelterran macrumors 6502

impractible

most of the "mock up's" ive seen are impractical, the new imac looks and is AWSOME man!

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

wow

SomeAppleGuy, you need to take your Prozac. The iMac is a cool new coputer. It is inovative and is a movent the right direction. Apple belves that the Desktop is not dead and that they will reside in every room in the home. Imagine an ultramodern kitchen with a new LCD iMac sitting on the counter. All your resipies could be found on your localy or on another Mac in the house and shared via airport. The desine is very nice. cute enuph to give one to the kids and professional enuph to have in your office. DVD-R! for the consumer! This is the direction of home computing. Apple is allways a head of the game and allwasy thinking diffrent. There may be some PC's out there that have tried to keep up with Apple or even gain a lead... but They have not even come close. MS is supposed to unvail there new Bigger than a PDA, smaller than a tablet PC, "socal PDA", TV remot control soon. That sounds like they maybe trying to think diffrent... and thats good. But Apple leads the way for home computing.

XP.. have you seen XP? Its ugly as hell. I someone needs to give bill gates a lesson in color. I mean... its just grose. I like how they are using Mac like icons. And I see that they are attempting to think of the user for onece. (they did that with Win2000 a little) But man.. its a dog. Sloest Windows ever. Sounds to me like SomeAppleGuy is really some WindowsUserGuy. If you want to join club beigeBox then go ahead. No one is stopping you.

[Edited by evildead on 01-07-2002 at 11:51 PM]

6. SomeAppleGuy thread starter macrumors member

Close minded huh? So if Apple advertises, "where no PC has gone before", "prepare to be blown away", and "WAY BEYOND THE RUMOR SIGHTS" we should not expect those things? Wheres the revolutionary device everyone has been talking about? Is a flat panel lamp shade revolutionary? I mean turn the computer on at night it makes ONE HELL OF A NIGHT LIGHT FOR MY KID!!! But that its.

Heres another point.. we will never stop seeing crap like this produced by big companies as long as people like you are willing to pay for them. IPOD is a great example of a poor device being very over priced, but yet you all by them because of the Apple Logo.

DEMAND MORE FROM YOUR HEROS!!!

maybe next time we will get something that truely does change the world.

7. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

man, I still hate to admit it, but the iMac is kinda "toy-ish" looking. I fear that it WILL being back all the same old jokes.

That website is still missing my favorite mock-up. I posted it here in the Hardware rumors section under the heading:
    Love, Hype, and the iMac. Its still the coolest looking by far.

On the contrary to SomeAppleGuy:

I think the iPod is great.
    Not so hot about the iMac. There are a lot more professional looking computers available from Apple, like the portables. I wish they wouldnt have produced this iMac.

[Edited by agreenster on 01-07-2002 at 03:06 PM]

8. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

What do you expect... its a Computer??? Apple is not in the cure for Cancer Bizz... they make cool comsumer computers and Powerfull work stations for Pros.

the iPod is a great toy. Is is expensive? Yes... If you comepair it to anything out there is it the best ? yes. I personaly have on need for something like that but Its still a great device. The BMW z8 cost $130,000.00. Is that a crappy car? Do any of us need one? Did it change the world? OR is it just a really cool car?

9. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I know you are upset evildead, and I am too. But this particular iMac isnt exactly revolutionary (like the Titanium was). Its a very typical computer in a not-so-typical frame. Thats all. Its also overpriced, and you CAN get PC's that do more for cheaper.

10. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

True.. its not the most professional computer... but I still think its cool. For a consumer compouter its great. The original iMac was far from professional at it is the best selling PC ever. I probably wont get one... but I would recomend others to.

11. SomeAppleGuy thread starter macrumors member

Your comparing a BMW to the iPOD?? The ipod is at best the chevy camaro (67-69) of mp3 players. Its fast like the camaro, its shiny like a new one, but also like the chevy... destined to become the camaro of the 90s. Ugly, Slow, and just like every other wanna-be sports car on the road. I work for Apples Tech Support dept, beleive me.. the iPods are not well put together. As for this iMac thing, I predict it lasts about as long as the cube.

And does anyone out there honestly thing this computer looks better than the cube?

12. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Maybe comparing the iPod to a BMW went a little far, but evildead is just defending a good product. The iPod is cool, and I dont care if you know so and so who says its crap. I sure love them, and theyve neve crapped out on me.

Anyway, its all just a matter of taste. You dont like the iMac, and neither do I. Big deal. I still use Apple and the portables, and will embrace the G5's whenever they surface.

Oh, and dont trash Camaro's. They still look sweet and cost less than a vette. I love mine, and can smoke just about any other car that wants to tangle.

13. SomeAppleGuy thread starter macrumors member

my post maybe wasn't as clear as i wanted it to be. if your driving a 1st generation camaro i have the utmost respect for you. i rebuilt a 69 a few years ago. what i meant was that the 1st gen camara would become the 2nd, the 3rd, and then the 4th, which (no offence if you have one) are peices of CRAP! So the iMac hits generation 2. Whats next? The original camaros led the way and forced people to copy them, hence the firebird. Now the camera looks like every other american made car on the road. They almost stopped producing them. I think Apple started off this way but lately they are following EVERYONE else.

First flat panel all in one computer??? nope

First mp3 player???? nope

First photo software??? nope

Show me something in the last few years that Apple has done first.

14. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I agree. I do have a newer camaro, but thats because of cost, not what I want. Of course, if I had the money, Id love a classic. I still would rather have my Camaro over my old Grand Am though. Its all about comparisons. But I see your point. As of now, I like the iPod.

But yeah, they HAVE stopped production on Camaros, and are making a truck instead. Blah.

I guess Ill just have to save up for a Corvette or something.

15. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I was saying that the iPod is the BWM of Mp3 players. You know of a better Mp3 player out there? One with better desine and flaver with a combined size, durrability, storage, speed, and FireWire interface? Let us know what this super Mp3 player is.

Like agreenster said.. i was just saying that the iPod is a good product and that its a better product than most others even close to it, much like how a BMW z8 is a better car than a Chevy Comaro.

16. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I was at the LA car show yesterday. They had on display the 35th Anavesery Camero and they were handing out free posters. True, they stopped making them. But dont worrie. I read that they are going to bring them back in a few years better than ever. They need to do something to show up Ford and their new T-Bird.

17. SomeAppleGuy thread starter macrumors member

Can I just say that talking about cars is much more exciting than arguing about computers.

HAVE WE ALL GONE MAD???

im sure i have

18. rEd Eye macrumors regular

The new imac could look great in your 80's retro linolium everything kitchen.Even comes with wonderfull new "iwash",and "iwatchthebaby"software.
    There WILL be a cheap horror movie based on this thing coming alive and eating children!!!!

19. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Rumor

Rumor is, its going to be front wheel drive, and more compact, like the TBird. Im not sure if I WOULD like that or not. But yeah, Im going to miss the old Camaros.

Yeah. Ive gone mad. I was supposed to be working all day.

20. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Haha... Trauma Team Video should make the movie. I would go see it... or rent it. (the only way you can see Trauma Team movies)

21. SomeAppleGuy thread starter macrumors member

Id pay 8 bucks to see that. Perhaps at the end of the movie the original iMac comes back to life and kills the evil iLAMP and SAVES THE DAY!!!!

then rev A iMac marries an ibook and has a litter of ipods, one of the ipods gets wet and eats after midnight and turns into an xBox and takes over the world!!

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

23. Obsidian macrumors member

you are wrong

I do not particularly like the new iMac's design, but I am sure that I will get used to it, as I did the last one. What you need to do is calm down, then, compare the iPod. The iPod is the BMW of portable mp3 players. The original price tag does seem a bit high, but only to the pessimist.

First of all, most mp3 players are 32-128MB capable, and do not contain HD's. They usually cost anywhere from $50 to $200, and use USB. Then you get into the higher end units, such as the Nomad. It holds 20GB, but it is alot lardger, and also uses USB. I would not want to transfer 20GB of mp3's via USB. (Not only that, but I dont know anyone with 20GB of mp3's).

I do not Consider the iPod revolutionary, but I do consider it highly useful. One function it has that no other mp3 player has is the ability to be used as a regular HD, so it can do alot more than just play mp3's.

And when did this become an argument about which camaros are the best? They all suck. Give me a Charger or an F-40 any day. hehe.

The iMac, im sure, wont do to badly, as it has already sold 1000 units to Biotech.

The only thing that really chaps my ass about this mac world is that I managed to sit through the whole thing, as choppy and slow as my computer could make it, and for what? I was waiting for the 1GHZ+ G4's or G5's!

Oh well, they better get here by MW Tokyo or it will be a 137MHZ gain in NINE MONTHS!

24. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Good post Obsidian, I mostly agree with you. But why combine Mopar and Ford? Man, you gotta be faithful to one or the other.....

:) Waiting on the G5's too......

25. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

the 300 club

I joind the 300 club today arguning about the iPod and the iMac.

... and about cars... well.. not really arguing about cars.