iMac keeps putting itself to sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Amy2005, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Amy2005 macrumors regular

Hi

I have an iMac G5 and it keeps putting itself to sleep whilst i am working on it does anyone know why this is happening?

Thank you

Amy :)

2. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I had the same question last week. It seems that the iMac is overheating, or it thinks that its over heating. I don't know how to fix it though, sorry. :(

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could try resetting the SMU, but if it's a warped sensor then that won't help. IS the machine well ventilated? Are you working it particularly hard? Although it's probably overheating, there are other quirks that might be putting the iMac to sleep.

Check that the iMac doesn't fall under either of these programs:

4. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

My mac does fall within the serial numbers for the 'iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues'. It was sent to be fixed for another fault free of charge not long ago, to do with the logic board. If it does it again like yesterday I will take it in to the apple shop with a print out of the webpage you showed me :) It has been ok today so far. I was using a few programme when it did happen though, iTunes, Safari and entorage i think. I keep it fairly close to the wall, I will move it away from the wall and see if that helps.

Thank you for your help

Amy

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Take it in anyway, if you can afford the downtime. It's not the sort of thing you want to suddenly happen to you, at an inopportune time.