Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhaps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Spent most of my money on this semi-new iMac Late 2015 21.5 inch 2.8GHz. Bought it used, but need to upgrade memory and ssd on tight budget. Which kit do you recommend? I am thinking about a used Samsung 850 Pro 512 I found. Any issues with fans kicking in? What memory would you recommend? Thanks!

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Spent most of my money on this semi-new iMac Late 2015 2.8GHz. Bought it used, but need to upgrade memory and ssd on tight budget. Which kit do you recommend? I am thinking about a used Samsung 850 Pro 512 I found. Any issues with fans kicking in? What memory would you recommend? Thanks!

That seems to be a popular one, you should read the reviews on them at Amazon and Newegg. As far as your RAM goes it is not upgradable because it is soldered in the 21.5" iMac.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Spent most of my money on this semi-new iMac Late 2015 2.8GHz. Bought it used, but need to upgrade memory and ssd on tight budget. Which kit do you recommend? I am thinking about a used Samsung 850 Pro 512 I found. Any issues with fans kicking in? What memory would you recommend? Thanks!

You should put at the top that you are talking about a 21.5 inch iMac.

The memory is soldered (basically Apple's way of making you pay more).

You can, however, add a Samsung 850.

There wouldn't any problem with fan speed since the 21.5 inch iMac doesn't have temperature sensor on the hard drive.

Last edited:

Nhaps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Ok thanks for explaining the soldered memory, I can live with that.
[doublepost=1469215344][/doublepost]
You should put at the top that you are talking about a 21.5 inch iMac.

The memory is soldered (basically Apple's way of making you pay more).

You can, however, add a Samsung 850.

There wouldn't any problem with fan speed since the 21.5 inch iMac doesn't have temperature sensor on the hard drive.

Thanks, but don't know how to alter the title to add "21.5 inch iMac", though I was able to edit my first post to include that.
[doublepost=1469215526][/doublepost]Do I use suction plugs and/or cutter from the kit?

Last edited:
Reactions: tubeexperience
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.