iMac losing screen calibration

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by plinden, May 22, 2006.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    (It may or not be relevant that this is a Core Duo iMac) I noticed my screen seemed a bit washed out and checked the Display settings, to find that Generic RGB Profile was highlighted (I'm pretty sure that's because none are actually selected, and the generic one is highlighted only because it's the first in the list). Apart from this generic profile in the list of calibration profiles there is only one called iMac, and one called iMac Calibrated (the one I set up myself). I have "Show profiles for this display only" selected.

If I select any of the profiles including the generic one, I get the "error beep" and when I close and reopen the Display settings, the generic one is always highlighted.

If I select Calibrate, I get an error popup saying "Can not calibrate the display. The factory profile for the display cannot be found" (yes, it says "can not" :rolleyes: ) .

This is the second time this has happened, and I'm not sure how it fixed itself last time, but I noticed the screen like this just before the last OS update but it was ok afterwards.

I'm guessing this is a preferences issue, so is there any plist I should nuke?
  2. dylan macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2005
    Do you have Fast-User-Switching enabled?

You can either restart or try this:

Type that into Terminal and it should fix it.
  3. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Thanks, that worked. I've put it into a shell script so I don't have to remember what to do.

I do have fast user switching enabled since until we got our MB yesterday, my wife and I were sharing. So that screws up the calibration?