iMac loud sound volume after 10.4.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by designed, Mar 27, 2007.

1. designed macrumors 6502

designed

After I updated to 10.4.9 the basic sound volume of my 24" iMac became ridiculously loud. The Apple chime at the boot comes now at horrific volumes when compared to the quiet chime it was before, directly reflecting the OS X volume.

I am now constrained to using the first four blocks of the volume scale (when changing by keyboard) and also in XP (BootCamp) I have to constantly battle to keep the volume low.

I'm curious if there's anywhere else I could turn down some sort of system master volume since the 10.4.9 update seemed to turn the volume up systemwide and it's just too damn loud for my uses.

2. jackshiels macrumors newbie

I have the same problem - its really irritating - if I ever put the volume up to loudest, I'm afraid it will destroy my speakers! (Hence why I never do).:confused:

3. Paul S macrumors regular

4. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

The boot chime is whatever lvl you last left the volume at. You can have no boot chime if you turn the volume to the bottom. I quite like the new volume it's more ballenced out.

5. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Exactly...

If your volume is too loud turn it down. It boots up with what ever volume you left it at on OS X.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Me too. My only real complaint with my iMac's speakers was that they were too quiet. With this update, they're perfect. I now keep the volume pretty low most of the time, then crank it up when I want my music loud. Before I kept it all the way up most of the time and was annoyed that I could never turn it up any higher.

7. Paul S macrumors regular

My only complaint is when I use the remote to get into the videos/music/pictures (the 4 icon menu that you can also access by pressing APPLE + ESC). When I'm playing a movie, it is still loud at the lowest volume. How do I adjust the volume for those applications? Actually, all of the other apps (iPhoto, iTunes) I can set the volume within those apps, but I can't access the video volume.

8. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Hmm. The extra volume is nice but I think the speakers sound better at lower volume, or at least not as bad for music.

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Front Row.

10. scottij macrumors newbie

Me too

My wife and I noticed this too after the last update. Even at the lowest level (1 bar), our iMac 24" is louder than we would like. Seems like they need to even out the volume over the control range a bit better.

11. Paul S macrumors regular

So is there a volume control for Front Row? I am not at home right now, so can't check it.

Thanks.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There is...

13. Paul S macrumors regular

Ok, I'm a n00b at this. I've just tried searching via "Finder" and just by browsing, but cannot find this volume control for Front Row. Can you post the location? Thanks.

14. hotcha3 macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have the same problem in my 20" iMac core duo.

There's no more control over the volume minimum levels, so the maximums are louder but you can't even acces the minimum, as other people here said.

You can go on by adjusting the volume manually on each application (itunes, vlc, quicktime,etc...) but the big problem arrives with FRONTROW, as it was said here.
    There's no option to modify the frontrow volume level (only with the remote), so with only one bar, sometimes it's wayyy too loud, and you can't do anything.

I' think it's a huge mistake from apple (inc, not computer anymore...and we see the results, bad upgrades, leopard not till october etc...).

I would appreciate alot if anybody could tell me how to set the "master volume" for Frontrow, as we can do it in other applications such as iTunes.

Thanks in advance.

15. Blubbert macrumors 6502

The buttons labeled + and - on your remote control the master volume. Use those buttons to control the volume in Front Row.

From reading this thread it would seem that people dislike this new loudness, however, i always believed that Mac's were too quiet and have only now gotten to the proper sound level.

16. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

No problem with volume on my iMac 24".
    I use the sound/system pref.s, the keyboard vol. keys, and the app. vol. sliders to control overall volume.
    No problems! :)

17. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Unless you do a hard reboot. Every time I hold down the power button to reboot when something goes wrong, it starts up and the chime is earsplitting.

18. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Why are you hard rebooting? You should not have to do this unless you have a Kernel Panic...

On the subject of volume, I've noticed my Powerbook G4's volume is also louder. Since I'm hearing impaired, however, I think that's a great thing.

19. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Well, I don't even know what a kernel panic is. :( But when I try to 'force quit' and it doesn't do it, I do a hard reboot.

20. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Right, that should NOT be happening. What software causes this behaviour?

21. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

It usually happens to one program when I have multiples open. It happens a lot with iTunes and with Frostwire. Kan yoo teech tha dumm kyd wut a kurnal panic is? lol:confused:

22. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Sorry for the delay, I had to get the battery replaced on my car!

This is pretty off the topic of the thread, but essentially, a Kernel panic occurs when the operating system's kernel (the core code, if you will) encounters a serious error that it cannot escape/repair. You would definetly know if this had happened, because your screen would have dimmed and you would have seen a grey box in the middle of the screen asking you to restart your Mac (in several different languages). They are usually pretty rare..in two years of Mac ownership, I've seen it once.

When you say the system froze when you tried to force quit, do you mean that you couldn't access any other applications? Usually when an application hangs, it shouldn't affect other open applications or the system itself. I've had a few times when it took a while for something to force quit, but never had the whole OS freeze like that...

23. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Ah. Thank you for the quick lesson.

It doesn't restrict functionality of the machine, but it doesn't go away. I think only 3 times it's actually restricted functionality. *Ponders* Perhaps another stick of RAM...*:)

24. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

for whatever reason, when things don't forcequit off the dock, they will often forcequit from the apple menu. I will often find something stuck at the dock level that I can kill from above.

Edit-way off topic. I read this because my 24imac is pretty loud. if the volume range was bigger, I could keep it quieter. there has to be a way to go to set the overall volume range.

25. natemonster macrumors member

natemonster