Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forrest1992

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
V-Town
Hello.
I have a problem, based on my old G3 iMac. I want it to be wireless, so that I can not have any cords running to my study. I'd like to plug Airport Extreme in at my Living Room (where the internet hookup is) and just have it send the signals to my study, where both my MacBook and my G3 will receive them.

The G3 does not currently have an airport card. It is a 333mhz G3 iMac with a1.2 USB.

-How much will it cost to have an airport card installed? (parts and labour)
-Is there a device that plugs into USB or ethernet to pick up the signals, if so, will it work with a 1.2 USB?

What else would you recommend?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Don't go with the USB dongle option because they're notoriously buggy and often give machines kernel panics. You'll need an old (second hand) AirPort card because the newer AirPort Extreme cards won't work. Their prices vary but check out eBay for something good. No idea how much it'll cost but read through your manual on instructions as to how to do this yourself. From memory, it's not terribly difficult.

Another option would be to get a second wireless router to act as a bridge and plug it into the ethernet port of the iMac. This may end up being cheaper and faster. Just make sure the brand of router you get is compatible with your current wireless network. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.