iMac Memory upgrade?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by crazyeyes, Oct 8, 2005.

1. crazyeyes macrumors regular

I am thinking of buying a 1GB stick of memory to add to the 512MB of my iMac G5 but i am wondering will buying that memory and installing it myself void the warranty of my computer. I found a gig of crucial on newegg for $103 and apple wants $300 for a 1GB stick of who knows what type of memory. I am just wondering does anyone know if upgrading myself and using memory not supplied by apple will void my warranty?

2. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Installing memory doesn't void you warranty, unless you break something.

Crucial is definately the way to go. I always use them, and have never had a problem with their product.

You're going to love the performance increase too.

3. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

So if i install memory that isn't bought from apple and it works fine for say a year and a half and then something goes wrong and they tie it to a memory issue will that mean that my warranty is void cause that memory could have caused the problem?

4. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Yep, but it may be covered by Crucial.

5. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that is what worries me. I wish there was somewhere to get memory cheaper than the apple store that would work. I mean it sort of sucks that you can't just use any memory without voiding your warranty.

6. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys i just wanted to let you all know that you can buy 3rd party memory without voiding your warranty. I talked to an apple agent today and they said that it was no probelm. here is the chat i had with them.

Agent:
    Thank you for contacting Apple Chat Support, My name is Amardeep
    Agent:
    Hello Alex, how are you?
    Alex:
    hi
    Alex:
    i am good
    Agent:
    Could you please give me a minute while i pull out your record?
    Alex:
    sure
    Agent:
    Alex, thanks for your patience, It is good to see that you have an Applecare Protection Plan which entitles to for an onsite Tech support where available
    Agent:
    Are you contacting us regarding an existing issue or is it a new one?
    Alex:
    well i don't really have an issue just a couple of questions about my warranty
    Agent:
    Okay, please go ahead ...
    Alex:
    i was just wondering if i want to upgrade the memory in my computer where can i get memory for it so that i don't void the warranty
    Alex:
    can i use any DDR 3200
    Alex:
    or do i have to go through the apple store
    Agent:
    Not necessarily from Apple Stores, you can purchase it from any local stores and use any brand. But, we strongly recommend to use RAMs available at Apple Stores. And this will not void your warranty.
    Alex:
    well say i were to buy a stick of crucial memory from crucial that is meant for my commputer will that void my warranty
    Alex:
    i just want to make sure that if i buy from somewhere else that i am not going to void my warranty
    Agent:
    No, it will not void your warranty
    Alex:
    i mean it is a verry big investment and i would hate to have a problem down the road and send it in and they say that it is due to the memory and that my warranty is void
    Agent:
    Also, we can use PC 3200/DDR 400 RAM modules
    Alex:
    yes that is what i was going to use
    Agent:
    No, not to worry. It will not void your warranty.
    Alex:
    so i can go ahead and buy any DDR PC3200/DDR 400 RAM and my warranty is fine?
    Agent:
    Absolutely, no problem.
    Alex:
    ok thank you verry much you just made me feel better about buying memory
    Alex:
    i mean its not that i don't want to give apple the business
    Alex:
    it is just that they are a little high on prices for memory
    Alex:
    if they were a little more reasonable i would buy from them
    Agent:
    You are welcome. That is okay. Not a problem. I understand that.
    Alex:
    ok thank you so much for you help
    Agent:
    You are welcome
    Agent:
    If we have any further technical issues we can also refer to Apple's Knowledge Base articles at, http://search.info.apple.com/, http://discussions.info.apple.com

So that clears up alot of confusion for alot of us here on macrumors. If there is anyway of getting more people to see this i hope it gets done cause this is something people should know about.

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

That's awesome. You were worring about nothing ;)

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

9. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

I am not buying memory for a mac mini. I have an iMac not a mac mini. And yes i know that the memory on crucials site is different i was just using newegg as a reference.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ah sorry, yes I crossed two threads

For the iMac G5
    CT440183
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...=AM&model=iMac+(G5-2.0GHz,+17-inch)&submit=Go

The point being that "Crucial" isn't the determining factor, the correct model number is. The Crucial (or Kingston) RAM you see at the online discounters is the PC generic stuff and has an excellent chance of being incompatible with your iMac G5 (which is the most finicky G5 on the planet).

I recommend that you stick with a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with your specific model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.