iMac Merom"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2ms, Oct 25, 2006.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

Does the iMac definately use the Merom? If so, though somewhat understandable for the slim case, it is still a disappointment because the bus is so much narrower than the one on Conroe.

The reason I find it a little hard to believe that they needed to go with Merom is that the iMac used to have G5 which I thought ran substantially hotter than the Conroe even.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes, the iMac definitely uses the "Merom" version of the Core 2 Duo processor. You can tell from the clock and FSB speeds.

They probably put it in because, whilst the G5 did fit in the iMac's case, it still created a lot of heat which required larger fans running more often = more noise. Conroe may be a little cooler but using Merom guaranteed an almost silent computer with much less power drain than using Conroe.

3. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

dammit my 2.16Ghz C2D is not quiet at all. I wonder if the fan in back (center back of screen) could have defect bearings or something. When I cover the opening a little bit the computer goes silent so Im guessing that the noise is from that fan. I would describe it as the sound of an old hard drive -- not moving air sound, not the sound of hd head moving around, but the sound of platter spinning in HD back in the day when they were a lot louder.