iMac Motherboard Failure??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rsmith, Aug 17, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 17, 2003
    Here's a confusing situation. My iMac DV (80 mbhd/768 mb RAM) was running on OS X. We may have had a power surge (not sure) and afterward that firewire ports are not working. No devices can be found when attached to the ports either in OS X or 9.

As a last resort, I reformatted my drive and reinstalled both OS X and 9. Firewire is still dead but now OS 9 works great but X won't install properly - it takes forever and when it finally runs, windows and file menus take literally several seconds to open. You can actually see them resize! OS 9 is ok, but I can't make OS X install.

Any suggestions? The hard drive doesn't show bad blocks or any other problems. Does OS X use different motherboard resources that could have been affected by a board problem? I'm at a loss...
  2. macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2003
    The 909
    You might have a minor RAM problem (OS X uses a lot more RAM than 9). If your computer will boot at all, an all-out motherboard failure is unlikely.
    The FW unit may have been fried though.
  3. macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    iMac motherboards are remarkably contained, since they have so many different systems. My modem died a while ago, and it was the only thing affected... the same thing probably happened to your system. I think there are places to get upgraded motherboards, the benefit is that it's a much faster processor, downside is cost... not sure if you can get a replacement motherboard tho...

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 17, 2003
    additonal issues w/imac

Now the iMac won't even start up in OS 9. When you get to the startup screen w/the blue bar, it hangs up and after about 2 mins. of the circular cursor spinning, the cursor turns into a bomb and it locks up. It does the same thing with a boot cd.
  5. TMA
    macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2003
    A few things I would try, probably wont work but worth giving a go...

Check RAM is installed ok. Remove and re-install. Also check all other connections that you have easy access to without having to rip the case apart.

Reset the motherboard. (should be a switch somewhere internally but i'm afraid I don't know where) Zap the PRAM. Not done this for years so I don't know the key combo or if it's still something that can be done.

Try booting up from a diagnosis CD or any other Mac OS disks you can get your hands on. Then run Disk Utility (and/or other disk utilities) on your HD if you get it to load.

When it bombs on startup make a note of any numbers/codes displayed and if you hear a number of 'chimes' count them. Look them up on the net.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  6. macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2001
    partition the first 7.99 GB for osx installation