Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
My iMac is in an almost noise free environment. And when I am using my Imac, it seems it makes a noise like i said in a different thread,
imacintel said:
natural gas coming from nowhere.

It is driving me absolutley mad!

I think this may be a problem because my iMac never sounded like this.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
harveypooka said:
When does the sound occur and what model and what version of OSX are you using?
when does sound occur

It occurs when doing my normal thing(Safari,MSN,Ichat).

I am using 10.4.6

I am using a 17 inch iMac Intel Core Duo
The hint is in my name

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
And the noise is constant? Loud? Quiet? What about when starting up? Where does the noise come from? Does it ever stop? I had noise with my PPC iMac but my Intel one is super quiet. I get more hiss from the speakers.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
harveypooka said:
And the noise is constant? Loud? Quiet? What about when starting up? Where does the noise come from? Does it ever stop? I had noise with my PPC iMac but my Intel one is super quiet. I get more hiss from the speakers.

It is cosntant from the second i start up. It is quiet, but annoying. It is not from the speakers.No CD/DVD in superdrive.It is coming from pretty much anywhere there is an outlet. It is driving me CRAZY....looks like i have mad cow diseaese:cool: :D

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I'm not sure what "natural gas coming from nowhere" sounds like. Any chance you can record the sound using the built-in mic?

My iMac G5 had an annoying buzzing sound, which increased/decreased as the screen brightness was adjusted. Does yours do this? If so the problem could be a faulty power supply unit, which Apple should replace under warranty.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
dietcokevanilla said:
I'm not sure what "natural gas coming from nowhere" sounds like. Any chance you can record the sound using the built-in mic?

My iMac G5 had an annoying buzzing sound, which increased/decreased as the screen brightness was adjusted. Does yours do this? If so the problem could be a faulty power supply unit, which Apple should replace under warranty.

Sorry, It did not want to upload my GarageBand File.

just, Imagine, a barbeque with nothing on it. That i what it sounds like, only quiter. Also maybe a Honda Accord V6 engine at idle :D except quieter

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
dietcokevanilla said:

Yeah, I heard about that. Has the iMac always sounded this way?

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
pweese, I need help. This is driving me MAD!!! I generally have Itunes Open, but I just can't find many songs.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
imacintel said:
pweese, I need help. This is driving me MAD!!! I generally have Itunes Open, but I just can't find many songs.

applecare to the rescue

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
I don't think this is the one I am talking about. That one is present and driving me up the wall, but the BBQ or Honda accord V6 sound it i whts buggin me. If this maccy has one more problem, that kind of comes and goes, I welcome to my computing world, MacBook. Trade in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.