iMac not as responsive as it used to be

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DrStrangelove, Oct 2, 2006.

1. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Hey, gang... long time no post.

I've noticed (for a couple of months now) that my iMac simply isn't as fast as it once was.

I have the Intell 2GHz Intel Core Duo iMac with 1.5 GB of RAM.

Anyway this machine over time has gotten progressively slower-- specifically with some applications-- the two I've noticed most (that are causing extended "beachballing") are Mail and iChat. Mostly the Mail program-- sometimes when I hit reply/reply to all it takes a LONG time for the reply email to actually open up.

For the most part it's just a general feeling of the machine running slower as I'm still able to run all the programs that I ever had. I'm wondering if it's perception and I simply need a bit more RAM or if over time something in this OS clogs up the way a Windows registry might (I know there's no registry-- just trying to create an analogy here).

Is there something else I might try doing? Is there some pref file that I can delete restore or something. I've done a bunch of searching here and haven't found much. Any advice will be tried and is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

sounds like the Core Duos are too slow for you now... you must upgrade to a C2D as soon as you humanely can... :p

When was the last time you reset it? Have you tried repairing permissions, etc?

3. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

I'm with Scarlet Fever on this one. Try a utility app like Cocktail.

4. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

i was feelig the same way, even the dock ws unresponsive. I ended up doing a full back up and reinstalling OSX, it worked well.

5. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Reset? You mean reboot? Also, I don't know anything about repairing permissions but I'm willing to try. Are there easy instructions to give me or a website?

6. deebster macrumors 6502

Use Disk Utility.

Click on your HD in the pane on the left and then on 'Repair permissions' at the bottom left.

It might also be useful to do a bit of cleaning out of logs and stuff too. OnyX is good at this (and is free). Cocktail is too but is not free. Be sure to RTFM though.

I would run all the 'cron' scripts (known as 'daily', 'weekly' and 'monthly' - they are run automatically by OS X, but only if your Mac is on in the early hours of the morning).