iMac not working after spending two weeks at the Apple Store, help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ceruleanventure, Jul 11, 2006.

1. ceruleanventure macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

I need advice!, my iMac G5 was brought to my local Apple Store for a motherboard replacement and came back to us in worse condition. Before the repair my iMac would freeze at odd times. Now after two weeks at the store, two motherboard replacements and numerous trips back and forth to the store, my computer is in worse condition. The first time I got it back from repairs, the display wasn't working properly (so we gave it back to them for more repairs) and when we got it back the second time the computer wouldn't even boot up most of the time and when it did and it had the same display and audio distortions. Also the fans come on really loud most of the time and the little white light on the bottom right of the bezel refuses to shut off even when the computer is shut down.

What should I do? My family is growing increasingly frustrated with the apparent apathetic attitude of the repair people lol. The fact that it's an hour drive to the store isn't helping matters either. We've called Apple multiple times and all they offer is to look at it again :rolleyes: What should we do? Ask for a replacement or a refund? or keep sending it back to them? I need this computer for college in a few weeks :(

btw its an iMac G5 (isight) and it's still under the one year Applecare plan.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sounds like a lemon.
    I'd ask for a replacement or a refund. Which ever works better for you.

3. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Thanks yellow, but the iMac was purchased in November, would they really take it back or offer a refund now?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You've had to take it in numerous times for repair and it's only a little over 6 months old. That's a pretty piss-poor showing for a new computer. And the worst part is that you're not able to get it adequately repaired.

So.. you have 2 choices as I see it:

1) Bend over and take it.

2) Stand up for yourself and tell them (nicely, but firmly) that this is unacceptable.

Which one do you think might be the better choice?

5. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

6. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes as I think it's after three repairs. Also if they fix it again don't leave the place until they turn it on and show you it works. I had to do that with my iMac as the first "Genius" said it was bad RAM (it was Apples RAM) and he said he couldn't do anything about it. Yet it was a DOA superdrive, the next Genius (I waited for him to finish with his customer) checked it and I got it replaced. He said whenever you get a repair, unless it's shipped out, have the tech turn it on and show you it is working. If they won't, get the "Manager" and file a complaint (I know it sounds like a pain).
    Hope this helps :)

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree with the others. The imac you have is not acceptable and apple has not been able to make it acceptable despite numerous attempts. You paid for a fully functional machine, and that's what you deserve. Demand a replacement. Be polite and do NOT lost your temper, but do not leave until you have the imac you paid for.

9. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Both times we picked it up we tested the machine and it was working. What's so odd about the "repairs" are that they hold up for a few hours of use and then the machine becomes unusable again. I had to show pictures from my camera to show them what was happening (the didn't believe me originally until I showed them the pics) So do you think they'll give me store credit for it? (they don't have any more iMac g5s in stock) Thanks for all the great advice :)

10. Jordan6 macrumors regular

iMac

Couldn't have said it better.......i dont see what's the big deal about replacing it tho if you obviously have a non-functioning computer.sounds funny but that's what scares me about buying a new Mac....I hear ALOT stories of exactly this...all the macs i've bought have been used and works perfectly.

11. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

So should I just be upfront with them and ask for a new computer? I don't know how well that will work since they haven't been selling my model iMac for months now (they don't have any in stock) Does anyone have experience with returning apple computers and asking for a replacement? :confused:

12. cherry38 macrumors member

My guess is they would hook you up with a refurbished iMac G5 if you asked for a replacement. It might take a week for one to come in, but that is probably your best bet. It does not hurt to ask!! Just explain your situation and see what happens.

13. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

After witnessing Apple's "repair" standards, I honestly would be afraid to get a used iMac now. I think I would be better off getting a refund. I love macs lol, so I would only use the money to get another new mac (which I need asap) However I have doubts that they'll offer a refund. Does anyone know what Apple does in this kind of situation?

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

If they decide they're done trying to fix your current computer, you're far more likely to be offered the equivelant current model rather than a refund. That would be an intel imac and not a G5 imac.....that doesn't mean they wont insist on trying to repair it again

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

1) Stand up for yourself, no one else will.
    2) If you don't ask, you'll never know. The worst thing they can say is no.

16. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Ok, thanks for all the great help. We're driving in tonight and asking for a replacement or a refund.

17. cherry38 macrumors member

Keep us posted! I've always had excellent service from Apple Stores, but it often seems like I'm the only person who feels that way.

BTW, I would not be wary of an Apple refurb. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I've never owned one personally, but I always heard that Apple refurbs are generally excellent.

Anyway, best of luck!

18. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I too would like to hear what happen tonight when you went into the store.

19. Cowinacape macrumors regular

Mojo sent,with your returning it! I look forward to hearing how it all turns out.

20. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Luckily we called before we left, because they told us they were too busy to help us that night, so I have to wait for my next day off which is Saturday. I will keep you guys posted about what happens, and thanks for all the advice!:)

21. kyleaa macrumors regular

I've heard a LOT of stories like this from many PC companies, and had multiple experiences like this with Sony... Yes it sucks, but it's fairly standard in pretty much any industry.

22. regan2 macrumors member

you want to speak directly to the tech manager or the store manager. don't mess with the geniuses anymore, they can't help. it sounds like you've got a system with more problems than can be fixed. as if something is wrong deep down, and it's popping up in all these areas but can't be fingered as to the core issue.

i recently had a problem with my MB Pro.

I drove 90 miles from school to an Apple store in CT. There was no way I could let them have my computer and mail it off for 7 - 10 days. I spoke with the genius who diagnosed it with a bad power unit. But as I had presentations in Keynote, no Mac labs at school, and numerous online assignments, I was in a predicament and needed help.

I first tried for a straight replacement. Only a month old, I thought it wasn't too much to ask. Problem was I had 1.83 that had already been discontinued. But I was polite, but firm and eventually got them to migrate my data to a new macbook "loaner" until mine was fixed.

They're good people who want to help, but you've got to be firm that you need a better solution than just sending it off for repair.

If they won't replace it (they still have refurb G5 imac's, I'm sure) then tell them you want a loaner with your data on it while they work on fixing the problem. I bet you'll find satisfaction in getting a working unit to enjoy while you wait.

As for mine, it was shipped overnight to Houston for repair. Unboxed, fixed, and shipped again within two hours and I had my computer back quick. Dropped it off at 8pm on Wednesday, had it back Friday afternoon.

While I'd preferred it not to have broken, I was treated well and everything is working as advertised now.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree with all that. Definitely speak to the manager. I too have found that they are good people who want the customers to be happy. But they are also probably instructed not to give refunds or replacements except as a last resort, so you do have to be firm.

I recently took my macbook in to get the discoloration fixed and asked for a loaner machine (because I need my mac for work every day), and they told me they couldn't do that. They offered to sell me a refurb and then refund my money once my mac was fixed, but I didn't want to do that, so they ordered the part and it's waiting for me in-store.

24. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Wait hold on...

I just checked Apple's refurb pages and their refurbished iMacs (G5 or Intel) are usually a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the new units (I have an education discount, so the prices might vary a bit for other people) Anyways, my point is I paid for a brand new iMac, if I accept someone else's used one I'll be losing a couple hundred dollars or so. How is that fair? :eek:

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Don't get ahead of yourself.

Find out what they're going to do for you. If they try and foist a refurb on you, then tell them you want some free software (or store cred) to make up for the price difference betwixt your NEW iMac and a refurb (someone else's cast off).