iMac: now or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by advocate, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. advocate macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2004
    #1
    I'm going to be buying an iMac G5 some time between now and the middle of February. It'll be CTO because I want the built-in Bluetooth module and the wireless keyboard and mouse. Most likely I'll be going for the high-end model. (I was thinking of going for a PowerMac G5 but honestly, the bang per buck ratio is too low and I don't really need that kind of compute power on my desktop; that's what the compute farms in my department are for.)

    Now, the question is, should I buy now or later? I don't need an iMac now -- I'm quite happy with my PowerBook G4 for most things -- but I wouldn't mind the increased display size and storage space for when I'm at home. If I buy now, I get good use out of my dollar because I'll have it longer before it becomes obsolete. If I buy later, I might get a better unit for the same price, depending on whether there's a bump in January.

    Certainly the current high-end model is good enough for me (I play games on the Windows PC sitting next to my desk; that's its only real purpose) but hey, more and faster is always better.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks..
     
  2. jkaz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2004
    Location:
    Upper Mid West
    #2
    i would buy later.

    consider the cost of the top of the line imac g4 and compare that to the cost of the top of the line imac g5.

    there is plenty of price room for these new imacs to go.

    also, look at the top of the line powerbook, 128 mbvram.

    the imac g5 has a paltry 64mb vram card in it.

    i think the imac is going to explode in a new direction very soon.

    apple did little more than make a cool design and throw in the g5 processor, which are both excellent excellent features, but it is still
    a typical imac in many ways.

    apple could very soon be in a position to offer wall mounted 30in digital media hubs and along with it, dramatically improve their current line of 'regular' imacs.


    if you can wait, i would definately recommend to do so.

    personally, i'm holding out for the 128mb vram at the least

    good luck
     
  3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

    Elan0204

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2002
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #3
    I don't think there is going to be an iMac update for a long while. I really woudn't be surprised if in February the iMac is the same as it is today. That being said, buy now. You will get the same iMac you would get in February, only 5 months sooner.
     
  4. Darwin macrumors 65816

    Darwin

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2003
    Location:
    round the corner
    #4
    I agree, what with the iMac going to its next major step (G5) it won't be changed I guess until the PM G5 moves further ahead (since Apple won't want the two systems to be too close).

    However since you say you are happy for now feel free to wait, but it is more likely that updates will now be done to the other models before it comes back to the iMacs turn again :rolleyes:
     
  5. jkaz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2004
    Location:
    Upper Mid West
    #5

    these are good points that i didn't really consider in my post.

    and although i think the imac could be changing into something really cool by january, if it doesn't change into something cool, it will be very similiar to what it is now, like the other posters said.


    but i still think a 128 mb video card will be an option by then.

    also, and the main reason for me posting again in this thread, is that the next version of osx 10.4 aka tiger, is due to come out.

    this could potentially save you the cost of an upgrade.

    i still recommend waiting.
     
  6. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

    Elan0204

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2002
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #6
    The things is, he said he can wait for now, but plans to make this purchase by mid-February 2005. Given that cut off date, I think his best bet is to buy now. Even with Tiger loosly scheduled for the "first half of 2005," there is no guarantee that an iMac G5 purchased in February will come with a free upgrade to Tiger. In fact, I think we will see the release of Tiger closer to (or at) the WWDC 2005.
     
  7. advocate thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2004
    #7
    Thanks for all the comments. Yes, my decision basically comes down to whether the iMac lineup will be the same as it is now come February. I guess I'll see how I feel about the machine when a demo unit makes its way down to my campus bookstore. If I like it, I'll order one!
     
  8. JasonL macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Location:
    Ware, MA
    #8
    I'm in the exact same boat, and I'm waiting.

    I think the iMac may be updated sooner than people think. The PM is mid-cycle and if that gets a significant upgrade in the next 3 months or so, an updated iMac could be offered right afterwards (with a better graphics card and at least 512MB RAM, hopefully at least on the high-end 20 inch model...though this has been discussed/argued at length)

    In my situation I'm right between needing an iMac and a PM, so I'd like to see what they do with the iMac before spending the kind of $$ a PM would cost me. I also am interested in the space savings/reduction of clutter that the iMac offers.
     

Share This Page