Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Ok, well getting a new mac is going to happen. The PB 15" is great. But the iMac 20" is the true deal between the two.

I'm going to school over in England (from CA) and will of course be flying there, so how would you package an iMac to be flown? Original box? Something else? Can the monitor/cpu and stand be taken apart? What do we think here?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
try the iLugger iMac G5 carrying case. I'd recommend carry-on rather than checking it. What do you mean by disconnecting the monitor from the CPU? They are an integrated unit.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
wordmunger said:
What do you mean by disconnecting the monitor from the CPU? They are an integrated unit.

I believe he means taking the stand off the monitor. this CAN be done, you need to take off the back panel to do so. I am not sure how to do this, but im sure a quick google search will yield results.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Why not get a 12" iBook for NOW and get a 17" iMac when you are there?

It will make everything easier.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
umm...iMac doesnt have auto-switching power supply does it? the UK uses 240V/50hz iirc as opposed to our 120V/60hz which means you could end up frying your imac :eek:

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
I remember a thread where that exact thing happened.

Some woman fried her husbands iMac

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
Every Mac can be used with either 110 or 240v.

I've bought quite a few at USA and used them all with our 240v current.

Last thing i remember Apple doing that wasn't 110-240 was the Imagewriter II, which of course I fried...

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
colocolo said:
Every Mac can be used with either 110 or 240v...

nope.......version A of the G5 iMac didn't have the auto switching power thingie.....unfortunately a number of people assumed that they could buy one in the USA and take it elsewhere and the result was a fried iMac!!! There were quite a number of posts about it in the months after the iMac was released last year

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
colocolo said:
Every Mac can be used with either 110 or 240v.

I've bought quite a few at USA and used them all with our 240v current.

Last thing i remember Apple doing that wasn't 110-240 was the Imagewriter II, which of course I fried...

No. To make the iMac G5 thinner, they see what address you are ordering from and depending on the country send you either a 110 volt model or a 240 volt model.

DO NOT USE THE iMAC G5 ON POWER IT WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR!!!
Linkety

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
Mechcozmo said:
No. To make the iMac G5 thinner, they see what address you are ordering from and depending on the country send you either a 110 volt model or a 240 volt model.

DO NOT USE THE iMAC G5 ON POWER IT WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR!!!
Linkety
That was the case with Rev. A of the iMac G5 but the current iMacs have auto switching.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The frequent traveler gurus around here recommend you shipping stuff instead of putting it under the plane, especially since you can insure the stuff much more easily as a package.

Heck the guy even says he puts his dirty laundry in a box and ships it home to get cleaned instead of using the hotel laundry.

Ships all his luggage home, taking his overnight carryon when he goes home.

He got tired of lost and/or delayed luggage, and finds that shipping the stuff via a parcel service drastically reduced late and lost luggage.

And these days since the luggage under the plane can be opened and inspected, theft is a problem these days -- even before people have a chance to steal it at the luggage claim.

---

So fly there without it and have it shipped to you.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Well I'm glad I asked you guys about it all. I have my B/W 400mhz G3 chillin with me in Cali, but that just won't cut it anymore. I need MORE!!!

I'm so torn on the decision between the two. My bro has the PB 15" but the iMac 20" is cheaper and more powerful. It will comedown to if I prefer that power over the portability of the machine. Dammit, what a decision!!!!
I'm still leaning towards my first choice.

The
Powerbook 15" 1.67Ghz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.