Imac or G5???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mocman, May 28, 2004.

1. mocman macrumors regular

I have had a 15" powerbook and never took it out of my office. So I sold it on Ebay and have about $2200.00 to spend on something of a desktop version. I need it to work mainly for pictures and video editing etc.
    I have heard that I need to wait for the release of new versions of the iMac and G5. But I have seen the Dual 1.8 for $1999.00 and the 20" Imac for $1899.00.....
    I have been told to stay away from the 1.6 G5. But I really need to know which one would be the better band for the buck and the ups and downs of both....Thanks In Advance

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Wait until WWDC.

There could be iMac G5's by that time and there will definetely be updated PM's. This way, if at that time you decide that the updates are really more than you need, you can pick up a great deal on the older models.

Other than that, either will be fine. You might not need a G5 for editing, just make sure you get an iMac with a lot of RAM if that's what you decide to do. Also, I hear that the screen resolution on the 20" iMac is pretty poor so you might consider getting the 17". Plus, did you take into account the cost of a display for the G5? Those are also due for updates...

Looks like this will be a nice WWDC... ;)

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

3. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

What are you talking about? The resolution on the 20" iMac is the same as Apple's 20" Cinema Display, 1680-by-1050-pixel resolution. That's plenty good.

4. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks....I do have a Samsung 19" LCD already on my windows machine so if I get a G5 it will hook into it and share the same lcd as windows.
    Anyone else have any input??

5. nyprospect macrumors 6502

What do you suppose the price range will be for an imac g5,if in fact the imac g5's are introduced?

6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

In addition to you already having a LCD w/ DVI input, the G5 tower also has a way better ventilation system for cooling internal components, future proof w/ lots of room for expansion and upgrades, and looks generally better than the iMac. I just don't like all in one solutions, period. If the monitor breaks 1st, you're system turns in to paper weight. If the base unit breaks first, you'll have a paper weight w/ a work monitor, but you can't use the monitor.

Definitely go w/ the Dual G5 tower.
    You heard wrong. The LCD on the 20" iMac is identical to the 20" Cinema Display in every aspect. Unfortunately, the former's attached to a giant Hostess Sno Ball.

7. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the input. I did not know that I could update a G5. I guess the real problem now is can I wait until next month for the prices to come down.
    Is anyone else waiting or getting one now???

8. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I was waiting but bought a 17 inch powerbook instead. That was back in April. Now that it is less than a month to WWDC, you should DEFINITELY WAIT.

9. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Wait

As much as I love my iMac 17" and think the entire world should own one, I'd wait for WWDC if I were you.

10. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Sorry everyone for the false info :eek: . Guess I'll have to check my sources more carefully...

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY