iMac or Intel iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by luis.jin, Jan 15, 2006.

1. luis.jin macrumors newbie

luis.jin

I'm considering buy a iMac G5 recently; however, there're two options right now. I didn't have any experiences on apple computers before, so I got confused. The question now is which one I should choose.:confused:

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

The Intel, of course.

Faster
    Better graphics
    Better computer

3. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

It's as simple as that really - the package is overall alot better

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

unless there is somthing you need software wise that doesnt run in Rosetta (like ProTools), right NOW then go for intel. All software will be ported over in the next 6 months or so.

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

If you need it with serious software, then go PPC if not Intel ;)

6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Photoshop seems to run faster even under rosetta than it did on the g5s (ive heard 57s even under rosetta) office etc is smooooth - if your using it for apple pro apps then you can get the crossgrade disks soon

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're a new user then you won't be tied to any legacy apps, so go Intel :)

8. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I say Get the g5 the intel imac isnt that special. and Its kinda ugly to look at inside. Id wait for a while before getting intel macs.

9. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

It has to be the intel. Most apps will be universal in the next 6 months and any app that supports dual core will fly compared to the G5.

The other important point is that the GPU card in the intel leaves the G5 one in the dust. Mac OSX loves to use the GPU and the better it is the better the performance of many little things that may otherwise niggle you.

10. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Yeah if you're not going to buy a computer every year, then for the future an intel iMac is the may forward, soon all programs will be universal binary.

11. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Get that man a prize!

BTW it look the same as the imac g5 isight inside

12. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

Hey Will_reed can I ask what hardware you use? Not that I am suspicious of your intentions or anything.

13. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

14. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I agree!

Man, I wish we had an Apple Store around here. I'd love to try out one of these!

15. Morn macrumors 6502

Get the intel mac. Not only is is much faster. But will offer things like darwine and a speedy vm for windows in the future, if you have windows apps that you'd like to run. (aka, games!)

16. jtalerico macrumors 6502

32bit vs 64bit? I would go for the PPC... Then after about a year of kinking out all the bugs with the intel maybe get one.

17. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Listening to the MacWorld Edition of TWiT and Leo Laporte is raving about how fast the new iMac is. He even says that it's faster than his Dual 2.0 (I believe that's what he said he has) G5. This is exciting news!

18. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

A year... how wealthy or in debt are you?

19. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

What benefit is the iMac user going to get out of 64bit?

Getting a PPC iMac seems crazy to me.

20. luis.jin thread starter macrumors newbie

luis.jin

Thanks guys. Now I at least have a brief idea what I need to choose now. Another question is what PPC and Intel iMac are different from. I mean the way they work.

21. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Just the way that the processor ... processes and takes in the information. The chip inside is changed, that's the main difference.

The Intel's are supposed to be nearly dead silent too... so that's a plus :)

22. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Wow, I hadn't heard that anywhere. That's definitely a plus.

23. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

Go play with one

If you have a local Apple store I suggest you go play with both the Intel and the G5 iMac.

I did exactly that today. I played with a 20" 2.0 Ghz Intel iMac with 1Gb of Ram, and I played with a 2.1 Ghz G5 iMac with 1Gb of Ram.

I was very surprised by the difference. The Intel iMac was muuuuuch quicker. I downloaded some 1080p trailers from the Apple Quicktime site, it played them with ease while the G5 choked and dropped frames when there was too much action. Then I fired up iMovie HD and played HD clips while playing the 1080p trailer at the same time, the Intel machine performed beautifully! Tried the same test on the G5, the results weren't so beautiful. ; )

If you really want to have fun, go to the applications folder, select every application on the machine and hit enter. Watch 30+ applications load in 30 seconds, including all of Office running under Rosetta. It is pretty amazing.

24. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

The G5 iMac with Isight is the same as the Intel iMac inside

You are spreading misinformation. The current generation G5 iMacs look *exactly* the same on the inside, just as cluttered. Once they took on the new architecture (iSight, faster bus, etc) they stopped looking organized.

Inside of a G5 iMac with iSight:
    http://mactree.sannet.ne.jp/~kodawarisan/imacg5_isight/DSC_2227.jpg

Inside of a Intel iMac:
    http://mactree.sannet.ne.jp/~kodawarisan/imac_intel/0114105.jpg

25. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

Intel Imac no doubt. That is what the future holds. All the software being developed now is towards the new Intel processors not the ppc's. The ppc will be outdated much more than the intel in a year. If you are worried about possible Rev A hiccups, buy the Applecare. Not a bad price for a little over $100. Go Intel.