iMac or Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by halfprep455, Mar 9, 2007.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

Feb 17, 2007
    Maryland USA
    Im fairly new to macs and about 3 weeks ago, I got a used B&W for free. I really like macs alot and I need to upgrade. I am going to do medium video editing and photoshopping. I dont know if an iMac will be enough but I also dont know if I really need to buy a mac pro. Would an iMac probably be enough? Also, I get a little wiery of all in one computers.
  2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I'm pretty sure the iMac will be enough. What programs do you use for video editing? If you get the iMac, you'll want to also get an external hard drive to use as a scratch disk/system backup. The iMac 24" is probably the model to look at.

You don't say what monitor you are using with the B&W, but if you already have a monitor with a DVI input, you might also look at the lower end Mac Pro.
  3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006

I should note that I'm also against an Imac personally becuase I like to do lots of my own work on my computers, but do recomend them for others.

You do this for a living Multimedia right? I dont think this guy needs two screens or all that horse power.

If this confuses you I really am talking into the future.
  4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    Mac Pro

$2200 Refurb 2.66GHz Mac Pro will let you have two or more big displays and be a much better Video Editing & Photoshop platform. When you start rendering and compressing video you'll be glad you've got the extra power for only few hundred extra. I do this with a Quad G5 and it's not powerful enough. If you've got money to spare, 8 core Mac Pro is coming up. But you need to have a $5,000 expectation to get into that ultimate power level for 2007.

I should admit I am very much anti-iMac. I don't like the idea of a computer behind a display. A refurbished 2GHz Mac Pro is only $1900. Can you wait a little longer until Leopard ships? Everything is about to be refreshed soon thereafter.

It's really unclear how much you can afford for your Mac. I hate the fact that a lot of today's choices are driven between an all-in-one iMac with two mobile cores running no faster than 2.33GHz and 4-8 cores running from 2-3GHz with a ton of expansion capability plus screens because of money. It's a crazy choice to have to make.I find the idea and reality of the iMac totally repulsive. Sorry. There I've said it. I am just not the kind of guy who can enjoy any of the line that doesn't sit on the floor and drive 4 screens at once. I am sure I don't fit in with the rest of opinions here. So discount mine as completely biased in favor of Mac Pros or an old Quad G5 ONLY.

What's going on is Apple has created a huge hole that isn't being filled with a Core 2 Quad Kentsfield tower they could sell in the same price point as iMacs - thus leaving the consumer with an absurd choice betwen two extreemes. So our ability to give fair advice isn't even possible. I would love to tell you to buy a Quad Core Kentsfield Mac. I think it's a huge opportunity Apple has chosen, thus far, to turn their backs on.
  5. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2002
    Well, here's how to figure it out. Do you have $3000 and want a base-line machine? No? Get a 24" iMac with all of the BTO options except HD and RAM, and then max out the ram with and get a big external FW800 drive for your scratch disk.
  6. hal0n macrumors regular

Dec 27, 2004
    I disagree. I ended up buying a Mac Pro and the thing is amazing. Internal drive space is much better for video editing. Externals slow down rendering... plus seek time, and you have to remember to access the drive just before capturing to make sure it isn't asleep. On top of that the Pro machines are much more upgradable. This means that they have a MUCH longer useful life. That means that they have a higher resale value if you need to sell it...

I am finished with my video work and I've been looking into selling my Mac Pro. The residual value is really good. In terms of an investments in my video business, the Pro was one of the best. My cameras returned something like 30%, and this tower will probably be around 70-85%.
  7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Jan 1, 2007
    It really depends if you need lots of power, if you do the Mac Pro has the advantage of dual processors and the ability to take lots of ram.

8. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 17, 2007
    Maryland USA
    I have a 17in monitor but if I get an iMac, I can always sell the monitor on ebay for a good price. The monitor is only like 2 years old. I think Im gonna go with the iMac but I am just a little wery of all in one machines. I have heard a lot of horror stories about all in one machines. The Mac Pro is really nice but the price tag isn't so hot. The Mac Mini does not have enough power for what I want to do. This is why I really wish Apple had a mid range tower.
  9. neyoung macrumors member

Jan 15, 2007
    Get the 24" iMac. You'll be AMAZED! It'll do everything you could want and more.
  10. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Feb 20, 2007
    North Dakota
    Definately the 24" iMac, it is a way better deal and will fit your needs much better than a MacPro