iMac or Macbook Pro? Which and When?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BjoernW, Feb 13, 2007.

1. BjoernW macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
    Hello everybody,

I am planning on buying a new Mac soon, but I am still not quite sure which one to opt for. My options are an 20'' iMac or a 15'' MacBook Pro.
    This machine is to replace my current PowerMac Dual G4 867 MDD. It will be mainly used for software and web development (Eclipse and lots of other CASE and Java stuff) and testing.

As I regularly need to work at different locations, mobility is quite important, however, I still have a 2004 iBook G4 which has done quite well at this job so far, so I do not desperately need a new mobile computer.

Another point that is quite important to me is that my new machine is faster / better than my current PowerMac in every respect. I still have doubts as to this matter concerning the Macbook Pro, especially when it comes to hard drive performance.

As Leopard seems to be not too far away, I am willing to wait until it is released. Any suggestions as to which option to choose? Especially as regards product upgrades due until Leopard release date?

Regards, Björn
  2. 4nr- macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2006
    Göteborg, Sweden
    go macbook pro. portability is da **** and you can always get an extra screen to it if you need the screen space.
  3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    I had a similar choice, althought at that time is was Core 2 Duo iMac vs Core Duo Macbook Pro.

I still wish i had chosen the MBP for portability reasons.
  4. AppleMan101 macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2007
    If it needs to be better than your PowerMac and you don't need it to be portable then why not a Mac Pro? The price difference isn't huge between that and the other options, it will definitely fulfill your requirements for long time and you obviously already have the screenage etc. for your PowerMac.

I know it isn't on your original list but i can't see ahy you wouldn't want one.
  5. BjoernW thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
    That's a good question and I am still considering buying a Mac Pro as well, however with all the options I would like to have, like larger hard disk and 2GB of RAM would cost about 800 € more than an equally equipped (apart from raw computing power, that is) iMac 20''. Moreover, a machine that runs in virtual silence is a major plus, too. I don't know how current Mac Pros do at this issue, but they most certainly are louder than an iMac.

I think something like a Cube with today's hardware would be the best option anyway ;)
  6. XFactorer macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2007
    I got my MacBook Pro two weeks ago! Love it! As for Leopard... I say just get it now and pay for Leopard... it's not going to be that much considering how much you'll drop on the MBP... you'll love it!
  7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    if you get a macbook pro, operate in closed lid mode and you can pretend it's a cube only smashed up. plus, you could unfold it for on the go. i really would get a macbook pro, though. it'd be faster than your current setup, and it would potentially replace both your powermac and ibook.