imac or macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by minty-freshness, Aug 4, 2006.

1. minty-freshness macrumors member

minty-freshness

ok.. so the the iMac desktop computer runs at $1299 with nothing else installed. with 1 gig of RAM and iwork, it is $1478. HOWEVER: with the macbook, it starts at $1099. with the same gear as the imac, it is a mere $1278. i am willing to save the extra 200 bucks.

but i really only need this computer for basic things(microsoft office stuff like word) and artist-ey type stuff(IE: photoshop and paint shop pro X) i would mainly do the art at my home, but say i get an idea on the road. what will i do then?

2. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Both are great computers for different reasons though! Mainly, the obvious. It sounds like you'll be on it mostly at home and don't really *need* a portable or even want one that bad. If you're 50/50 on it I'd say the iMac will be better for you since it'll give you more bang and you don't necessarily need to bring the computer with you when away from home for short periods.

I think the iMac. Good luck :)

3. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

The main question should be: Do you plan on taking it anywhere? It sounds stupid but that should be the most important question. Good luck.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The MacBook sounds ideal. With the extra money saved, you can think about getting an external display, if you need the screen real estate. :)

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I'd probably opt for the MB and an external monitor, personally..that way you have the best of both worlds. but if that's out of your price range, then the iMac is a great computer as well.

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Pen and paper! But seriously, I'd probably go for the Macbook. Just because if you need to go on a trip or take it to school or something, you have the option.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the extra 200 is going toward more screen space, in this case. you need to think about whether 13.3" is enough for you or whether you'd be happier with 17". good luck.

ps... i FINALLY made a trip to the apple store today to play with the macbooks for about an hour or so. they are so AWESOME. i would absolutely buy one if i needed a computer right now. (after WWDC, of course...)

8. minty-freshness thread starter macrumors member

minty-freshness

thanks for all your help guys! i think i'llgo for the macbook.too poor for an external display. :(but with teh education discount, it's way under the price earlier. :D

9. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I agree with most of the other posts suggesting the MacBook. If you have the option to chose between a portable and a desktop as your main computer, I would always suggest the portable, because it is so nice to be able to take your computer with you wherever (or, mostly wherever) you go.

10. minty-freshness thread starter macrumors member

minty-freshness

hey all.. i have decided to go for the macbook.. i am only 18 dollars below what i need to get the 1.8 ghtz macbook. slight problem: i need the 1 gig. of RAM.so that brings it to a grand total of...1,139.00!! :( in case you cant do the math in your head... that sets me back 57 dollars. do i just wait it out? get the 512 meg. of ram, THEN save for an ugrade? help!!

11. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Well, I think the simple solution is: if you can't afford it off the bat, then you must save up for it. Using the computer with 512 megs will not make the computer a pain in the ass to use. Plus, it will make it that much more exciting when you purchase the new RAM: you will see a nice increase in the performance of your MacBook. How long can saving $57 take, anyway?

12. minty-freshness thread starter macrumors member

minty-freshness

13. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

My bad...didn't realize you were that young! :)

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

MacBOok would be nice if you ever went to your public library and they had wifi set up. THe ones around here do. Coffee shops if your into that... hotels they are going wireless. Even Luftansa has international flights with wifi on the freakin planes (So cool) Get hte MacBook! and you can enjoy wirelessness atyour home.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i vote for macbook, but the imac is wonderful too

16. kaboutertje macrumors regular

kaboutertje

I don't get it though, first you were in dubio between a imac 1487 and a macbook, but now with the student discount you are still short for a 1.83 mb ($1050)?
    Anyways here is what I would do, I would save up a bit wait till wwdc and buy a MB with a dvd burner, unless you got another mac/pc at home with a dvd burner. After you got that save up for these in this exact order :):

-2gig of ram, just buy it from the internet somewhere for $150 (you could go for 1gig offcourse, but if you want to go for 2gig later on you will have to replace the 1gig (dual channel) )
    - Samsung 205bw 20"widescreen $300
    - external harddrive, don't think the normal disk is going to cut it for you, but this is the last thing I would buy, by then you will allready know if you need the extra space or not