Imac or PM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dayloon, Apr 26, 2005.

1. dayloon macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2005
    Stafford, UK
    I have £1600 to spend on a new apple (my first one :) ). I was going to get a 20" iMac but i've also realised that I could probably also get the low end single processor PM and a Dell 2005FPW 20" monitor for the same price. Which one would you go for ? Is the single processor PM going to get a small update as well or not ? If the 20" imac is going to 2ghz and 512mb RAM surely the single PM is as well.
  2. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Hopefully we will see something with the powermac line today.

If indeed we do then you will have better grounds on which to base your decision. As things stand however, i would go with the 20" imac, the same processor speed but with a screen, a nice big one at that.

The only advantage i could see with the powermac is future upgrading, just make sure you get the ram you want built into the imac, it prevents a lot of fuss in the future.

So as things stand, i would go for the imac, but things aren't going to stand, so hold on a bit and see what happens to the two models, they are both in the midst of being changed...
  3. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
  4. dayloon thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2005
    Stafford, UK

Sorry, pwns ?? Obviously in terms of permance a single 1.8ghz powermac will be exactly the same as a 1.8ghz imac. But the imac is going to get a small update shortly isn't it. Looks like the single PM isn't being touched. :(
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Can't be bothered checking it out but I'm pretty sure the PowerMac runs a faster front side bus so it should be marginally faster. Plus, you've got the option of upgrading it in the future. However, if it were me, I'd still go for the iMac because of the gorgeous display you get with it. It's plenty fast enough IMO.
  6. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    My 2 pence worth.
    Youre in the same boat as me.
    iMac 20" saves loads of space compaired to a PM but the GPU bothers me, granted they may update that in the next revision though, but to what?
    What if the iMac screen fails at some later date? Apple isnt too forgiving on replacements at a low price.
    PowerMacs have a bigger frontside bus, more ram slots, GPU can be upgraded...generally more options. Save some dosh and checkout the UK apple refurb store every Wednesday at 10am, that'll save you 20% towards a new monitor and/or graphics card. They'll probably be more PMs on there in the next few weeks after the PM's are revised today.
    Well, thats what I'll be doing...just need the money...'spare some change guv?'