iMac or Powermac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Spock, Mar 21, 2002.

?

Powermac or iMac G4

Poll closed Mar 23, 2002.
  1. iMac G4

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Powermac G4 800

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

With the price of the iMac. I am not sure if I want the iMac or Powermac 800 mHZ. So I will let you help me thanks.

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

The age old question:

What will you ACTUALLY use it for?

3. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

Well right now I use a iBook 366 I run VPC4 and Office 2001 and some gaming like Quake and such I like the style of the New iMac BUT I also like the 5 PCI slots on the powermac.

Thank You.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Four PCI slots, if you don't use them for anything... One dedicated AGP slot (used by stock graphics card)... :D

Go with the tower, more expansion for later down the line, can take more RAM and such.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

it all depends...

do u just need something to use....or do u want the ability to have a monster system?

basically....an iMac is great if u have somewhat of a budget....G4...LCD....whichever damned optical drive it comes with!!! point is...just like the original...."plug in and go"

the PowerMac has the advantage of better video options...more RAM....more hard drives (up to 3)...internal Zip....PCI slots for upgradability...

all that said...I'll re-ask the question...."for what purpose are u going to use it?" ;)

6. Timothy macrumors 6502

I'm jealous ...

I love the form factor of the new iMac...but I need a tower for other reasons; dual monitor set-up, bigger monitor, expansion, etc.

If I didn't need this for pro work, I'd certainly scoop up an iMac. But, as ELA has stated, it really comes down to your needs.

BTW...most expansion, such as adding hard drives, etc. can be achieved via firewire and USB. So, it's not like the iMac completely limits you.

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

On the Fly I would take the iMac because:

1. Looks like you won't use the PCI port for anything. If you are in to video production or audio production (both in professional levels) you would need the PCI ports. In amateur level you can finde very good interfaces (USB or Firewire) for both intentions.

2. With the tower you would need to spend a bit more for the monitor.

3. With the iBook you would get the monitor included and would be easier to sell if you want to do it in the next 5 months because is a totally new line with no rivals, with the towers people have more options and the price can go down. Look at the Cubes, people are selling them at $800 yet, while the G4 400 tower is around $700 at most ($600 to be realistic).

4. You can flirt a bit with your iMac, not that much with the tower.

I would take the iMac with my eyes wide close if it has a 17" screen, but the 15" LCD are almost as big as a 17" CTR monitor.

For what you actually are seying you do, I would get the iMac.

8. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

The iMac price rise has further blurred the boundaries between Apple's pro and consumer lines.

If you're happy to use a CRT, or if you think you'll ever need PCI expansion, go with the PowerMac. The reason I say a CRT is because if you want to spend about the same amount on a PowerMac setup as you would on a high-end iMac, you won't have enough money left over to buy an LCD.

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

towers and hard drives

Actually the towers can hold up to four hard drives... the stock drive comes in the two up carrier, and they still ship with two others (one drive for each). I'm not 100% sure why Apple says three. It could be that they are listing for the full height drives, which almost no one buys these days. All ATA, and many SCSI drives are the 1/2 height factor, which the towers can hold four of.

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: towers and hard drives

well damn....I stand corrected....had no idea....

and congrats on 800! :p