iMac Ordered And A Dell Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BakedBeans, Dec 11, 2005.

1. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Well, I've done it.... I've ordered my iMac 20inch with bluetooth keyboard and mouse (thanks Jack, for all your advice and help!), I cant wait for it to get here.

I'm planning on using the spanning doctor hack to span across to a Dell 24inch, I know that this works with the widescreen 20inch dell but will the spanning hack support the other res of the 24inch? also another big feature of the 24inch dell is the ability to rotate it 90 derees into portrait view... is portrait view supported by tiger and is it supported with the hack

Any help or suggestions of any kind are greatly appreciated or any reservations on using the hack....thanks

2. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Good decision, and an awesome iMac coming your way. :) I'm sure someone will know about the Dell monitor. :)

Enjoy!

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, I think the screen spanning hack will support ANY resolution up to the maximum VGA output. I think that's at 2048 x 1536. I have my iMac plugged into a 21" Sony CRT that actually supports that crazy resolution. :eek:

My iMac doesn't choke running it at 2048 x 1536 @ 75 Hz. I run it at 1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz to stay on the safe side. Nice for a free monitor. :D

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~abarreno/displays2.jpg

An old picture, but it shows that it works!

4. reh macrumors 6502a

Note that the screen spanning hack doesn't really support any resolution really. All it does is remove the arbitrary limitations placed on the hardware by Apple.

5. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

thanks bud... makes me feel better, anyone know if rotate is supported (on Mac os x or whatever)

another question is about vga... does it looks slightly less clear than dvi? or is that monitor dependent?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

DVI was supposed to replace VGA but VGA has caught up more or less with DVI. Yes, you can rotate the on the external display. I just tried it out and it worked just fine.

I've used both VGA and DVI monitors. I say that the monitor and video card what define the image quality. Since you're using an LCD you want to run it at its native resolution. It'll look great.

7. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

w00t

thanks for your help bud... really appreciate it

8. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

where should i get it from?

i can get it from dell with 5-7 days delivery for £708 and i can get it from aria for 680

any way i can get it cheaper... coupons or what not

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Yeah it's under system preferences-Displays and then it gives you a dropdown menu with options

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

it's supported and i use it quite often for excel tables.:) just change the settings first and then rotate the dell. otherwise using the mouse in a 90 degree angle is quite weird:eek:

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I definitely concur on that.