iMac OS 9.2 to iMac OS 10.3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by radioyears, May 13, 2006.

1. radioyears macrumors newbie

radioyears

a lady contacted me today about a problem she has , She has a old iMac and a new iMac , she needs to get the files from the old one to the new one , is there a cheap way to do this ? . thanks

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

use a firewire cable(6-pin to 6-pin) assuming the old iMac has one, when setting up the computer it will ask you if you want to transfer files it will give you instructions. if it is already set up, then boot up the old iMac in target disk mode(press apple+T, i think) while connected and it will show up on the new iMac as a external HD. from there you just need to drag and drop the files. I also know you can do it via USB and ethernet, but dont have experience. If they both have airports the you can "Create Network..." on the signal bar on the top of the screen. then join the network from the old iMac and then choose network from the new imacs (make sure personal file sharing is allowed if you use the apple firewall) then select the other computers name on the window and log in using the old iMacs name/password, again drag and drop.

PS sorry if this is confusing if you need step by step instructions just PM me and tell me the type that you will use