iMac OS 9 cleanup question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rhobes, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hello -

I am using OS 9.2.2 and see that the HD has many duplicat/triplicat & more copies of various downloads e.g. quiktime, IE, Flash etc etc and I'm sure lots of worthless trash from surfing over 2 years. In my inexperience I have had trouble downloading & installing software and many times of trying has led to TONS of the same stuff on the HD. What to do about it????
    Thanks Rhobes

P.S. I just ordered Panther for the OSX side and will shortly start trashing that -up.

* :D

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....If you are just talking about the installers themselves and not the applications and associated files, then just find the most recent one you need and delete the rest. I have everything download and expand into my "downloads" folder and after I've installed I move the installer (or its .zip/.sit/.dmg archive to another "archive" folder that I created. When that folder gets loaded up to cd size I burn it onto a cd and then delete from my drive and start with an empty folder again. Works well for me anyway......oh yeah!

(also - please pick *one* forum for your posts - cross-posting the same thing in multiple forums is a no-no, and just plain bad netiquette)

3. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes