imac OS for G4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jennifer34, Aug 16, 2004.

1. jennifer34 macrumors newbie

quick question--
    a friend gave me a complete install disk for OS X for iMac. i have a G4. different people have told me the imac software will be fine for my G4. can anyone confirm or deny?

2. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If the software came with the iMac, then you should not expect it to work on your G4. Most Macs ship with only a System Restore disk. If you have a retail version of MacOS X that was released after the G4, then it will work on any other computer that was also released before the software. However, software that ships with a computer is generally customized for that particular model. There are instances where it has been installed on other computers, but those are the exceptions, not the rule. Without knowledge of the specific model iMac, the specific version of MacOS X that shipped with it, or your specific model G4, I can't say if you have one of the exceptions or not.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Beyond all of that, it should be pointed out that installing it, even if it does work, is illegal. OEM software is licensed only to be installed on the machine it shipped with. retail Cd's are licensed to only be installed on one machine at a time. This is piracy.

5. Forced Perfect macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

It doesn't count if the person gave the original disc and removed all copies on their computer, though.

Are you sure Apple's OEM software is licensed in that way? I really don't see Apple caring if your iMac dies and you use its CD on a new computer.

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Well, I'm not absolutely sure, but I was under the impression that is the case with OEM software. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't have access to a license agreement at the moment to check though.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've never been able to use system specific disks on other systems. You'll politely be told that you put the disk in the wrong computer.

If you're determined, there are apparently ways to get things off those disks. Somebody else will probably tell you how to do it, but if not then do a search. This has come up many times in the last couple weeks. Just make sure you're not violating any licensing agreements. Don't assume anything, read all the way through to make sure it doesn't say something like "for use only with the system with which this shipped."

8. Forced Perfect macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

There are versions that really don't like being installed on other systems. But 99% of them don't care.

You can get around the "This disc does not work on this Macintosh" problem by simply mounting the ASR Disk Copy image and grabbing the system off that.

Most software install CDs can be used on other Macs if you don't use the main software installer, and open the software installers folder, then inside the folder System Software there is the installer that just installs Mac OS, that can be used on any system - most of the time.

OS X discs, most of the time are normal, retail CDs with another label on them. I know my G4 Software Install (Mac OS 10.1) is exactly the same as the retail aside from the label.

And yes, don't copy software you don't own onto other machines.

9. jennifer34 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, and one note

thanks for all the info.
    one note-- this software isn't being pirated. it's been removed from the other machine, as my friend now has a full version of panther. or jaguar, i can't remember which. so, the OS will be running on my machine and my machine only. assuming i can get it to work.
    thanks again--

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For example, the disks that came with my iBook have 'iBook' printed on them, but when you run the Installer it says that the disks are compatible with G3s, G4s, iBooks, eMacs, etc.