iMac overheating

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shotgun OS, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

M iMac G5 seems to be overheating and sleeps when doing certain tasks at random times.....it used to be when ripping CDs, but I was able to rip CDs recently, and now I cant rip DVDs.
    Is there some kind of control that lets me increase the fan speed or something to cool down my iMac?
    What could be other things to help?
    thanks

2. ddk121 macrumors 6502

Try opening your iMac up and cleaning any dust that's in there out. I know this worked for loads of people I know.

3. Shotgun OS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, here we go again.

My iMac's doing the exact same thing as last year (about the same time, too.) Anyways, the random sleeps are becoming unbearable. It even goes to sleep with only iTunes open and playing music. I fixed this problem last year by taking it to a Apple-certified center who took it apart and cleaned it.

Is there any way to take the iMac apart, or at least clean it? I have a G5 with iSight.

I really need to fix this quick so any help would be appreciated.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Unlike the Intel line that succeeded it the G5 was the last easily user-serviceable iMac. Here are some disassembly photos.

You should be able to just pop the hood and vacuum out the dust.

Good luck.

5. Shotgun OS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unlike the regular G5, the G5 with iSight is not as easily accessible. You cannot lift the back off like that.

Any other suggestions? :(

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

My apologies for the misinformation. :eek:

I thought the Intel Core Duo iMac was the first one to be impossible (majorly difficult) to user service but in fact it was this G5 with iSight.

Never fear, difficult does not mean impossible.

Here are disassembly photos at Kodawarisan of the G5 iSight. Be very careful of the wires for the iSight when you remove the front vessel.

Cheers.

7. aki macrumors 6502a

dunno if this helps but....

i have a rev b g5 imac (als no isight) and it gets too hot sometimes if i do heavy video stuff or other hard tasks

i have cleaned out dust once by taking off the back....but also you can clean some dust just by using a wipe over the grill at the bottom of the monitor, a lot of dust will come out

also, run something like Temperature Monitor in your menu bar

also, run the cpu in low power mode for normal use.... your imac should never shut down because of heat if you are in low power mode.....if you need the cpu for some task turn it to automatic or high but watch the temperature and bring it back down if it is running too high for too long

8. chickenninja macrumors 6502

chickenninja

get 2-3 friends and 2-3 cans of compressed air, put tape across the air intake points except for small holes where you insert your compressed air straws, and then blow all the dust out. then buy an air purifier. i hope you have toyed with the sleep and power settings in system preferences, that could be why its turning off. also find some widgets that display the temperture and rpm of your computer.

9. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Rev B here I just dismantled my iMac removed all the fans and and took em outside and using compressed air puffed out all the dust inside the fan it was alot :( make sure u get the heat sink dust hides inside there.