Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
Looking to purchase an iMac G5 (isight) for my family. They will be mostly using email, safari, word, excel, itunes and iphoto. How have your experiences been with the iMac? I've heard the G5's have had serious over heating issues, is this true? Have you experienced any other problems? is 512 RAM sufficient?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
TaKashMoney said:
Looking to purchase an iMac G5 (isight) for my family. They will be mostly using email, safari, word, excel, itunes and iphoto. How have your experiences been with the iMac? I've heard the G5's have had serious over heating issues, is this true? Have you experienced any other problems? is 512 RAM sufficient?

The overheating issues were more from the older models. Maybe it is too early, but I do not believe the isight models will have any problems. I know mine runs cooler than my old rev a and b imac. 512 ram is enough for what you mention. I was using Final Cut Express on mine with only 512 and it chugged along just fine. But, I added an extra gig and it is really snappy now!

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
TaKashMoney said:

While I don't own one myself, I do use a 1.6GHz iMac G5 w/ 512MB RAM at college and find it to be an awesome computer.

Would highly recommend one! :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I really wouldn't be worried about overheating iMacs. Mine is sitting in a sweltering 36°C room converting music (maximum CPU cycles) right now and it's fine. However, aim higher than 512MB of RAM. Look for 1GB plus if possible. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mad jew said:
I really wouldn't be worried about overheating iMacs. Mine is sitting in a sweltering 36°C room converting music (maximum CPU cycles) right now and it's fine. However, aim higher than 512MB of RAM. Look for 1GB plus if possible. :)

I have to agree with mad jew, shoot for 1GB+ of RAM for the iMac G5. Mac OS loves plenty of RAM. :) For the uses you stated 512MB would be "ok", but I think that you and your family would appreciate the smoother performance of more RAM.

Just my $0.02. :)

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
iMac iSight's cool (literally)

.. and 512Mb's should be OK for what you're planning to do with it and easily expandable when you get hooked into doing more. :)

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Only reason I haven't sprung for the rev c over my dog rev b is the crippled RAM on the board. I have 2GB in mine right now, and I don't feel like spending an extra grand for the 2GB DIMM. Other than that, it's faster, cheaper, cooler and just more nifty. If you haven't got one, and don't need the maxed out RAM (or you do and you're into spending the $1k) then it's perfect.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
one more thing, isn't the G5 far happier, and faster, with paired RAM? so, the 2.5GB max would be not as good, no? I'm paired now, 2x1GB DIMMS and it's slow as hell, so I may be completely off base.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Some_Big_Spoon said:
one more thing, isn't the G5 far happier, and faster, with paired RAM? so, the 2.5GB max would be not as good, no? I'm paired now, 2x1GB DIMMS and it's slow as hell, so I may be completely off base.

Not really an issue. Matched DIMMs will run faster albeit not really noticeable for the average user plus the same specifications and size doesn't necessarily translate to them actually being 100% matched AFAIK. :(

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
Thanks for the help guys! I think an iMac will match a new iBook perfectly. Is upgrading RAM later on an issue? I know how tightly everything is packed into the iMacs?

Smallville

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2004
I made the mistake of buying the first of the model. Replaced the logic board twice, then the power supply.

However, I hear almost nothing bad about the later revisions.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
TaKashMoney said:

512 MB RAM is sufficient for the stuff you've mentioned except for iPhoto, especially if have a large library. My eMac with 640 MB RAM has gotten up to over 500000 page-outs when using only iPhoto with no apps in the background, so get at least 1 GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.