imac pixel question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, May 14, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

this is for all the new iMac owners
    After hering about all the busted pixel stories, I was wondering if you new imac has some broken pixels
    cause mine hasn't which is nice.....but I'm just asking

2. cornelius macrumors regular

Nope. Mine doesnt have any.
    but ive noticed something odd between this imac (g4) and my previous imac (g3 dv es 400). my sound (itunes) never stoped playing when putting a new data or audio cd the new one does stop, and also sometimes i get a weird distortion noise when im playing audio and open new apps. i dont know if its me, but iwas wonderin if anyone else had the same problem.

3. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

no that doesn't do that on mine
    Maybe you should get your imac checked out or maybe its your pro speakers:confused:

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

My sister has no dead pixels on her iMac. Come to think of it, I've never actually seen a dead pixel...

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I imagine they look something like this:
    :D

Attached Files:

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

oh man, those poor suckers. what a horrible death. doomed to stare at the outside world through those "X"ed out eyes!LOL.:D

on the subject of dead pixels, when i was in a Mac store the other day i saw a iMac that had alot of blown pixels.up in the top left there was a vertical line of dead pixels about 4cm long, and in the botton right hand corner there was another vertical line of blown pixels about 3cm long. it looked really bad! and the screen was flickering as well. that iMac was definitely not having a good day!:D

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

nope. ive thoroughly checked it.. first with really good magnifying glasses :p and second with a program made to check for dead pixels..

and woah I wouldn't want the iMac which cb911 was talking about!!! :eek: :eek:

irmongoose

8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

My iMac 700 (ISDN machine) G4 has no dead pixels, the machine just ROCKS!

Ensign

9. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

I just tested mine a few days ago, I was curious
    And there was none and to beej I have nevere seen dead pixel either

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The only way you're going to see it is to view the screen in person. If you take a screen capture, the video card puts in the correct value for the pixel, even though its bad on the screen.

You can try and take a picture of it, but the size of the pixel is quite small.

11. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

To quote myself...

I posted this on another thread but it's relevant here:

All of the dead pixels on mine were green, which was obnoxious as hell, especially because I tend towards black desktops.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: To quote myself...

Wow, my dead pixel is a light shade of green too, not really white. I wonder if that is the norm and why would it be the case? Very weird.....

13. cornelius macrumors regular

im not using the pro-speakers. im using the sound sticks.
    i thought it might be the ram?? i will upgrade that next week, if i keep having the same problem, i will contact apple. thaats about the sound distortion. but, does anybody get the sound "stopping" when putting in cd's while playing mp3's? or doing something similar?
    I first thought it was somethin normal, but now im concerned, since it is 1st release.

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

I may have mentioned this earlier, but my iBook has a dead pixel on the left side, but it is red, not green. WTH?

In a demo, it looks something like what I have attached. And, yes, it is EXTREMELY annoying. How the !!!! do you get rid of it? Is it really the memory, as cornelius asked?

Attached Files:

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

No you can't get rid of it. A dead pixel is a dead pixel. Since yours is red it leads me to believe that when an LCD pixel 'dies' it selectively activates a color in RGB and stays stuck. The transistors don't work, they get power and stay on the same color. Sorry, red would really suck. Mine being a light green it sort of hides in the background most of the time.

16. King Cobra macrumors 603

That is all right. I was just wondering since the thread was brought up. Besides, I hardly use it anyways. I did bring that iBook with the dead pixel to class at the very end of my sophomore year using OS 9 and I got a few up and down comments...one teacher called it (the 466MHz model) a toilet seat. What a PC user!

It is not a big deal, since I plan to get a Titanium sooner or later...does the 500MHz model have any stuck pixels? And, in case I get any, what can I do to have a replacement?

Any time is a great time for iPod.

17. cornelius macrumors regular

**** man, a red dead pixel sucks. hope you can work it out.
    i also have a question about somethin that i read in the rumors once, is there an issue with the firmware of the new imac? or something similar? cuz this might lead to the sound issue that im having.
    just now, i was listening to some mp3s in itunes, and i open the cd tray to put a data cd (containing word docs) when i put the cd in, and the system reads it, the sound stops in itunes, and it does that with any cd that i put in.

18. cornelius macrumors regular

now this

i just got this,look at the finde icon. has anyone gotten this before? look at the black stripes. it happened when i was emptying my trash.

Attached Files:

19. porovaara macrumors regular

Dead pixels?

A lot of you don't have dead pixels, you have *stuck* pixels. A dead pixel is either completely white or black. If it is one colour then take a q-tip and gently massage the area of the screen (directly) where the pixel is located this may unstick the pixel.

I know it sounds weird, but google for it if you don't believe me.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Dead pixels?

Well that didn't work on mine, and I tried it several times. I'd be really interested in knowing if anyone else gets this to work.

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: now this

My hard drive icon did that once, after i installed photoshop... it stayed that way until i restarted, tho i'd imagine logging out would have done it as well. I'd assume the image resource is misread or corrupted in RAM... and it doesn't seem permanant... just some weird icon thing...

occasionally my cursor will turn into this weird scrambled square thing... i think it's the same type of thing. Used to happen in 9 as well, so it's nothing new... in fact i think i remember having it happen as long ago as system 7...

:)
    pnw

22. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Wow, I used an iBook (toilet seat :) , 300 mhz) towards the end of my sophomore year. Most of my friends thought it was kind of 'fruity', but they were impressed when I made a presentation about the ancient olympics. The iBook did have a dead pixel, though. It was green, so I really didn't notice it. I think my mom's pismo may also have a dead pixel, but my new iBook 600 has a fine, fully functional screen, almost. I'm lookng at it right now, and it might be just me, but the lower right corner of the screen appears a little darker. It's not a large area, just barely big enough to put the cursor in, but it seems to fade as it reaches the corner, but it's still working. It may just be me. I don't know...

23. dualburn001 macrumors regular

i have one "stuck" pixel on my imac. I wasn't really bummed out because if you don't play on trying to re -sell it doesnt really matter. truthfully I don't even notice it unless I stare at it.

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

stuck pixels aren't something apple sends out within a certain model or anything... it's just something that happens to certain machines. therefore, no particular model would all have stuck pixels or anything like that, though newer lcds might have less problems, but i'm not sure of that.

some have said apple require 10 pixels to be messed up to fix/replace, but i'd guess in a new machine you might be able to have it fixed/replaced for one pixel. i guess the best bet is to get it in person... but either way i'm sure you can work it out. especially with apple care.

25. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Lines over Icons

I get that all of the time. It happens about once a week for me. I restart, and poof they are gone. I am planing on reinstalling everything this weekend and reformating my hard drive so maybe that will fix the problem. Apple has told me that they are aware of the problem, and they are working on a fix. Hopefully 10.1.5, but if not Jaguar.