Imac playing dead

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MontanaMacster, Mar 8, 2003.

1. MontanaMacster macrumors regular

I have a grape iMac that won't startup. It seemed the pram battery needed to be replaced. I did(waited a full 20min, before replacing the old with new). Zapped the pram, and still nothing. From here I opened it up again and pressed the Cuda reset button...It booted right up. Everything thing ran smoothley and normaly, shut it down for the day. Tried to boot it up again the next day, nothing again. I have found the reset button trick will work everytime. Its a computer that I hardly ever use(its very jealous of my fp G4 Imac) so leaving it on all the time is not an option, but neither is having to press the reset button every time.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You could try resetting the open firmware by using command-option-o-f but I forget the command when you get there to actually do the reset. If you search these forums, you should be able to find it.

It also sounds as if the analog board may have a problem which would require service.

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Apple -- Option -- O -- F
    type in
    reset-all

But if the computer won't start up or turn on at all, this command is useless until you can do so. Can you boot off a Utilities CD of any kind, or even an OS 9 CD?

4. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

did you check the power switch? it could be dead too...

5. MontanaMacster thread starter macrumors regular

More info

I cannot boot from a disk unless I try the cuda reset first, and the power switch works fine the power button lights and the computer starts boot up, but its like it goes to sleep half way through. Once asleep it is absolutely in unresponsive. Thanks for the advice thus far.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Post your question at

www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/ (registration required)

if further information you receive here is not helpful.