iMac Poll

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Durandal7, Jan 9, 2002.

?

What do you think of the new iMac?

1. A revolution in computer design

49 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. A much needed upgrade

24 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Still can't beat a good tower

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Leaves a lot to be desired

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. An overpriced lamp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I couldn't resist trying this. What is your opinion on the new iMac? I may be mistaken but I think that this is Macrumor's first poll.

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

60 watt?

You'd think that if Apple were going to make a lamp that expensive, then they could make it a little brighter :cool:

3. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Imacs RAM

I just looked at the apple web site + it said the maximum ram was 768 and not 1Gb!

4. nubneck macrumors newbie

iMac neck

According to the Apple website, the neck is made of
    stainless steel:

http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html

Somebody mentioned in another thread that the neck was
    chrome...Is there a large difference between stainless
    steel and chrome?

-m

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

iMac RAM

I think u may be looking at the wrong iMac...

the new iMac has a maximum of 1 GB or RAM...

I think the old iMac has a maximum of 768 MB...

6. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

I would make an all of the above option but i cant edit the poll now that it is up.

7. syoung6164 macrumors newbie

The new iMac does have a maximum 1GB of Ram.The 768 you see is the amount you want put in.It has an internal amount of 128 mb of ram pre installed.

8. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I like it

I personlay like it.. I am not going to get one but I will tell every one I know to get one. :)

9. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Imac memory

I think that there is a bit of confusion here! I remember hearing that the max memory was 1Gb but when I clicked on the information next to the memory selector it said that the max memory was 768Mb.

10. dantec macrumors 6502a

I know some people who would get one...

But after I just purchased a Quicksilver with 17" display... I don't think so...:rolleyes:

I'm saving up for the 14" iBook... That really makes me :eek: :) :eek: :p ;) :D :cool: :rolleyes:

11. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Hooboy!

Hang on people, slow down. The max IS 1Gb, Apple has always sold BTO's in the first few months with less than the max if it was a new RAM type, which this IS. The internal DIMM can be up to a 512, the accessable SODIMM slot will accept up to a 512. Apple only has supplies of up to 256's at this time. They may not have a line on quality RAM at a reasonable price yet. Remember, it's a build option not a GURU configurator. It's currently the only 100Mhz SODIMM in Apple's line other than the iBook which doesn't use a 512 module in that slot (it'd be too big). Apple is just using their existing supply of 256 SODIMMs to start off with.

12. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: Hooboy!

I just had a look at the apple store. The superdrive model allows to configure the imac for 1Gb, but the other models are only letting you to select 768Mb (Does not matter because they are not shipping yet + this problem will probably be sorted before they ship).

13. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Cool!

That's the fastest addition of BTO RAM so far!

14. grouse macrumors regular

-asurace poll

I guess you folk have seen the results so far (37% top rating, 0-1% bottom). From my failing memory is doesn't seem to reflect the fact that about 50% of the posts post-Macworld were negative.

I still love the idea of it and am dying to play with one, BUT in my mac-evangalist way my own poll of people I've asked (mixture of PC/MAC types) the general feeling is "it's a bit retro could look very out-dated within a couple a years". I'm not sure, but there may be point here, given Steve Js pronoucement that this is gonna last 10 years.

BTW...

1. sorry for helping to incur the wrath of macrumors admin yesterday (many topics going off message

2. sorry for having a couple of them "OFFICIALLY" closed, we didn't mean any harm, kinda a post-MWSF detox

3. Did anyone laugh as loudly as I did at Steve's throwaway comment about Photoshop while demoing iPhoto, which I have to agree is a very smart piece of software?

15. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

I guess that SomeAppleGuy hasn't seen this thread yet since there are no votes for "overpriced lamp" yet. I am somewhat surprised that over half of the poll results are positive after all the complaining people did (perhaps you all secretly liked but didn't want to admit it). I guess the ones who hate the iMac are a minority, a loud minority.

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

SomeAppleGuy

SomeAppleGuy took a leave of absence...

for how long we are not sure...

17. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

iMac

When people first see the new imac they dont like it (including myself)! However, once you have seen it a few times it definatly grows on you (me included)!

18. Onyxx macrumors regular

I have asked a number of people what they think of the new iMac and I have reached a rather interesting conclusion. PC users like it more than mac users. Perhaps its because the mac users have been "spoiled" with inovative technology that has a great stylistic appeal. Then again maybe my PC using pals are finally seeing the light :p
    Hey if anyone knows a good population of mac and pc users, could you ask them about the iMac and report back on the findings.

19. grouse macrumors regular

I concur

So far from my limited polling of friends and customers, the same feeling is coming through, existing mac-users "not sure", pc users, "wow".

If this really is the case (and it certainly the case regarding OS X, non-mac users are really impressed in a way they never were with previous OSs, whereas a lot of long time macusers are "Oh it looks a bit kiddy and gimicky") and Steve can get the machine out there in front of people, then he may well have played a master stroke and we will finally (I know we've all hoped in vain before) get the extra pentration and market share that such great products deserve and demand.

20. spikey macrumors 6502a

I agree with you.

In a PC users eyes this imac2 was a new imac to replace the coloured one.
    In a macusers eyes this imac2 was a sequel to a truly revolutionary machine.

and the original imac is a hard act to follow.