imac possibilities

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by midnitevulture, Dec 12, 2004.

1. midnitevulture macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2004
    I Just got back from an Apple store today and am now obsessed with the 23" sized screens. I can't even come close to affording one, especially considering I'd need a computer to go with it. Does anyone have any thoughts on the possibility of there being a 23" iMac within the next, say, year? Abvoiusly nobody really knows, but would it be wise or foolish to hold out for one, considering the computer i have will do just fine for at least another year.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    im sure that its a possibility, when? who knows....but i could definitely see it happening in the future
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I would say that we won't see a 23 inch iMac in the foreseeable future for two reasons:

1. The iMac is a consumer machine and current prices for 23 inch displays would put the iMac out of any reasonable consumer's price range.
    2. The screen is permanently attached to the computer. So when the computer becomes obsolete, the screen become useless.

Just keep in mind that the 20 inch iMac is more expensive than a 20 inch monitor, and so a 23 inch iMac will be more expensive than a 23 inch monitor. So if you can't afford the 23 inch monitor, your chances of being able to afford a 23 inch monitor are even lower.
  4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    when the imac g4 20" came out, a 20' screen was as expensive as a 23" today.
    i'm sure that there would be a number of customers (like me) who would be interested in a 2.0 GHz 23" iMac and would be willing to spend 700$ more. i think there is a "high end" consumer market (just think of the 60GB iPOD Photo).

my concern is just that apple again will cripple a 23" iMac to separate it from the Professional line (no dual screen spanning mode, no video input to use it as a screen, no good video card......)

Apple had several times anniversary macs or other very expensive macs and they always sold.

so i'm going for a 20" imac rev.b or if available for a 23". if you think you'll keep the machine for 5 years the cost are high but acceptable (given the amount of use it gets compared to the other junk we spend money on :D )

my two cents,